looking for coil....anywhhere i can buy?

jamezun

Joined Oct 31, 2005

Jimmy Lane

Joined Dec 27, 2005
This is what is called a "Choke"....I've also seen it called a toroid. An Inductor.

Try Radio Shack if you are in the US....otherwise, www.mouser.com should have what you need. Do you know what inductance that you require?

What are you attempting to do with this....just build an electromagnet?

jamezun

Joined Oct 31, 2005
Originally posted by Jimmy Lane@Dec 27 2005, 03:45 AM
This is what is called a "Choke"....I've also seen it called a toroid.  An Inductor.

Try Radio Shack if you are in the US....otherwise, www.mouser.com should have what you need.  Do you know what inductance that you require?

What are you attempting to do with this....just build an electromagnet?
[post=12708]Quoted post[/post]​

well.. i would like to attach those plate-like coil (should be small enough, around 1cm diameter and 2mm to 3mm thick, with terminal)and allow magnets(similar size) move about it to generate small voltage, however.. I donno where to find them...and its not an inductor... i just dont know what it should be called.. i dun think its a toroid..? a tyroid have no terminal? u get my idea? do u know where can i find those?

thanks alot~!!!!!

Gorgon

Joined Aug 14, 2005
Originally posted by jamezun@Dec 27 2005, 10:24 PM
well.. i would like to attach those plate-like coil (should be small enough, around 1cm diameter and 2mm to 3mm thick, with terminal)and allow magnets(similar size) move about it to generate small voltage, however.. I donno where to find them...and its not an inductor... i just dont know what it should be called.. i dun think its a toroid..? a tyroid have no terminal? u get my idea? do u know where can i find those?

thanks alot~!!!!!
[post=12721]Quoted post[/post]​
Hi,
Why don't you wind some yourself, it should be simple enough. Just buy some thin enameled copper wire and wind away on a round tube or something with the diameter you want the coil to be. Put on some glue and pull it of the tube. Remember to scrape of the enamel from the ends of the wire before you solder! If you want the coil to be flat, just put it under something heavy before the glue is completely hard.

This way you can experiment with all the paramterers involved :D

TOK ;)