Looking for Boolean Simplification Help

Davey

Joined Oct 3, 2005
Hey folks,

First visit to these fourms and I must say, out of all the random things I've ran into on the net, this is probably the coolest. This should be right up there with a site that contains all of the things I've discovered in life.

Anyway, I'm a second year EE student at the University of Minnesota and I'm taking a course in Digital System Design. I'm apparently not very good at Boolean Algebra proofs. I can simplify a problem using the Quine-McKlusky method very easy. I'm glad I learned it. However using proofs or karnaugh maps are another story.

Does anyone know of any websites or anything that I could do to practice my proofs and karnaugh maps? For all of these, all it should take is a little practice, but alas my book doesn't give answers to the problems in it. I have no way of really checking to see if I'm right. It gets really frustrating heh.

As far as checking myself goes, I have some software that I think would be able to help, but I'm not too sure how to use it for such a problem. I have:

MatLab 7
TI-89 Ti (with EE Pro)
PSPICE (student edition for circuits)

I'd post some specific problems that I'm having trouble with here, but I'm currently working on some Linear Algebra homework. I'll be finished with that soon enough though.

Thank you,
Davey

Davey

Joined Oct 3, 2005
Wow, foolish me. I just discovered that there's a website associated with this fourm. And you guys have a great deal of information on Boolean Simplification. I'm going to take a look at some of this stuff. If anyone has anything to add though, go right ahead!

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by Davey@Oct 3 2005, 04:46 PM
Hey folks,

First visit to these fourms and I must say, out of all the random things I've ran into on the net, this is probably the coolest.  This should be right up there with a site that contains all of the things I've discovered in life.

Anyway, I'm a second year EE student at the University of Minnesota and I'm taking a course in Digital System Design.  I'm apparently not very good at Boolean Algebra proofs.  I can simplify a problem using the Quine-McKlusky method very easy.  I'm glad I learned it.  However using proofs or karnaugh maps are another story. 

Does anyone know of any websites or anything that I could do to practice my proofs and karnaugh maps?  For all of these, all it should take is a little practice, but alas my book doesn't give answers to the problems in it.  I have no way of really checking to see if I'm right.  It gets really frustrating heh.

As far as checking myself goes, I have some software that I think would be able to help, but I'm not too sure how to use it for such a problem.  I have:

MatLab 7
TI-89 Ti (with EE Pro)
PSPICE (student edition for circuits)

I'd post some specific problems that I'm having trouble with here, but I'm currently working on some Linear Algebra homework.  I'll be finished with that soon enough though.

Thank you,
Davey
[post=10774]Quoted post[/post]​
In case you have not already explored the tutorials associated with this website you will find some helpful information in Volume 4 Chapter 8, entilted "Karnaugh Mapping".

hgmjr

Ooopsss. I see you have already discovered the wealth of information this site contains.