Looking for Adaptec ACB-5580 SCSI to SMD Controller

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by MossyRock, Feb 16, 2017.

1. MossyRock

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 16, 2017
  2. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    It's in my private collection (usually called junk) of old computer hardware that's been in a corner for decades so the condition is unknown and likely to be FUBAR.
    Why do you need one?
    It's very unlikely to have specific driver/formatting software in any modern OS. It's somewhat compatible with standard 50 pin slow SCSI hardware and ACB-5500 commands but not completely. I had to write my own special formatting program to configure it to the proper SCSI block configuration using MODE SELECT commands to match the SMD drive hardware configuration long ago because it's a tricky beast to configure but once that was done it worked fine as a standard SCSI drive controller but it's not plug and play.
    http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stu...0_Tech_Brief_SCSI_to_SMD_Controller_Aug85.pdf
    https://ia800309.us.archive.org/13/...t85/500519-00_ACB5580_SCSI_SMD_Ctlr_Oct85.pdf

[​IMG]

3. MossyRock

Feb 16, 2017
    Hello!

I'm glad you saw this. As a new member to this forum, there was no way to send you a PM.

I'm into retro computing as a hobby.

I don't know if this is even possible without an immense effort, but my objective is get a CDC 9762 disk drive communicating with an Ubuntu system which has an ADAPTEC 2930 Ultra SCSI PCI Card (AHA-2930U) card in it. I have two Qualstar 1260 tape drives connected to it currently in a SCSI chain, and they are working well. The Qualstars use the slow SCSI-1 interface standard and this card handles it well.

Here is the link to the available CDC 9762 drive that I am considering. I haven't bought it yet, of course, pending more research and the availability of an ACB-5580: http://www.mbiusa.com/mbi_cdc9762.htm

I don't know if adding the CDC disk drive to this chain is possible, or if would require another Ubuntu box with its own SCSI card. If that's what it takes then I am game for that.

I understand what you are saying about this being tricky to configure. But, given my information above, what do you think? Having worked the ACB-5580 before you are in a much better position than I am to make a judgement here.

Thanks!

4. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    I used the controller with the much more modern FUJITSU M2312K SMD disk modules so I can't say if it will work with that old CDC guy. http://www.mbiusa.com/mbi_000047.htm
    I haven't operated or used a old CDC spindle pack system since the early 80's when I was a company Tech rep for a computer system that used the old H series Harris computers that ran the Vulcan OS. Snap-II
    [​IMG]

I'll be honest with you, I wouldn't spend the money, time and effort to do it. I only have the card because the drives, cables and parts were free long ago from some dead project. I only held on to the board because I knew it was an odd-ball and can't remember if with was working when it was tossed into a junk box. I don't have an SMD drive but I might we able to test the SCSI interface at work in a week or two using a bench Linux PC SCSI system setup for old drives.

5. MossyRock

Feb 16, 2017
    Yes, this would be an expensive, complex project that could easily become a huge time-suck with a high probability of failure. Even if all the stars aligned and everything worked, the drive will still need maintenance, new absolute filters periodically, and there's the cost of a very rare disk pack. If a head crash were to occur, then that would be the end of it.

After thinking about what you have said, I agree with you - I'll use my time and money on some other legacy project, one that has a higher chance of success.

Thank you for your time and thoughts!