Looking for a small solar cell

Jassper

Joined Sep 24, 2008
I know I have seen them, but can't find them. They are small Solar Cells (or similar) about a 1/2" sq. and used primarily to charge a 1.5 or 3v button cell.

All I seem to find when I search are those 2x3 or larger hobby solar panels. Any help?

Mike2545

Joined Mar 26, 2009
I am the first one to hate to send you to Radio Shack for anything but, if you live in the States they have them at some of the stores. The dimensions are 0.8x1.6". Hopefully it is too big and you will have to go elsewhere.

Jassper

Joined Sep 24, 2008
I am the first one to hate to send you to Radio Shack for anything but, if you live in the States they have them at some of the stores. The dimensions are 0.8x1.6". Hopefully it is too big and you will have to go elsewhere.
It's too big ;)

Thanks though

Slider2732

Joined May 6, 2009
On the calculator side of things, in the USA, Walmart have cheapo solar calculators of many forms and solar cell sizings, especially in office supplies sections or at the side of the techy areas. Dollar Tree is great for such things too. Tacky placky I call the construction.
Output is indeed tiny, enough to drive those highly efficient calculator chips but not much else unless stored up in rechargeables etc. About the weirdest thing with these though is that the cheaper the calculator need not mean the lower the output from the solar cell. I think they just buy a batch of the right size at the best quoted price and fit them.
I've built joule thiefs running off solar power before now, took just 2 calculator cells wired in parallel and was able to strongly light 2 red LED's.