Looking for a New Iron

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I am looking to sell my Weller Wes51 cause I am not liking the tip selections and setup and I love using my Hakko better .. I was looking into buying a Used Hakko Fx-888 or Hakko Fx-888D .. Do you guys have any suggestions for about under $100 bucks???
Also I was thinking about picking up a used Metcal or something..

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
You're on the right track. The Weller isn't bad but there's no reservoir bevel tip on the market from Weller or Plato for it.

I prefer Hakko as well but won't have it in that unprofessional toy color that's standard. I think there's a black and gray version, at least for Europe and Japan. Have you looked for a used 937?

I hate Metcal with their tall, easy to tip bases and expensive proprietary tip/heater units. I want to be able to adjust temperature at will and don't need to buy a new heater every time I need a new tip.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I feel bad selling my Weller cause I put a brand new control board and 1 brand new iron and 1 slightly used iron which was brand and both iron where purchase together ..But I really don't like the Digital Hakko and prefer the analog style of the FX-888 and the only really complaint I have is that I hate the tips style weller makes .. The only real reason I wanted to switch to hakko was the parts can be purchase separately for the iron unlike weller where you have to buy a whole iron if the heater goes bad .. But only upside is weller iron is $40 to replace verses $100 for the new piece unless you can salvage the broken handle.. I hate being so indecisive..