Looking for a certain file in internet browsing programs

constant collisions

Joined Nov 15, 2012
I want to play a prank on the next person to use my computer by firstly creating a page that replaces the original " could not locate webpage...." file.

Is it even a file? What type of file is it? Where am I?

With My current Browser, Firefox, I am having trouble determining the location of this file.

I assume the file is an HTML file that is automatically summoned when the internet is disconnected, or when the site is actually down.

I will create a fake HTML page that looks similar but jazz it up, you know. ;)

Thanks for your help if you give it ;)

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
As far as I know, this page comes from either your ISP or the actual site when a page is requested that does not exists. Try this link :D http://www.cnn.com/wskdifunthgkhlhl I've also attached a screenshot of what Verizon FIOS (my ISP) returns when I go to a page that does not exist ('could not locate webpage...." file.')

Since such a file does not exist on your local system, your prank may not be practical.

Attachments

constant collisions

Joined Nov 15, 2012
As far as I know, this page comes from either your ISP or the actual site when a page is requested that does not exists. Try this link :D http://www.cnn.com/wskdifunthgkhlhl I've also attached a screenshot of what Verizon FIOS (my ISP) returns when I go to a page that does not exist ('could not locate webpage...." file.')

Since such a file does not exist on your local system, your prank may not be practical.

BUt what if the internet was turned off completely for the victims computer?

There has to be a way to do it, someone out there knows how. But the smartest thing to do if you know something everyone else doesn't, is to keep quiet :p

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
You could always replace their browser with a webpage with the same icon/name as the browser, so it would look like the actual browser....