Logic Gates?

infinitig35

Joined Mar 3, 2008
Good morning all. Great site you guys have here. I have a homework problem that i'm stuck at. Here's the question: If logic gates are used to feed the inputs of an S-R latch, they are known as__________logic. ? Can someone help.

thanks all :(

mentaaal

Joined Oct 17, 2005
I would guess the answer is external logic. My lecturer refers to the circuitry other than the flip-flops to be external logic

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Good morning all. Great site you guys have here. I have a homework problem that i'm stuck at. Here's the question: If logic gates are used to feed the inputs of an S-R latch, they are known as__________logic. ? Can someone help.

thanks all :(
Go back to your Professor/Lecturer/Teacher and ask them to be more ambiguous!

I will hazard a guess at "conditional" logic. Why?

Your question asks If logic gates are used to feed the inputs of an S-R latch, they are known as__________logic.

If you look at the section of the AAC e-book referenced by thingmaker3, you will see conditional logic gates (2 AND gates) at the input to the SR-latch (which is the 2 NOR gates). These two AND gates at the input of the SR-latch are there for conditional input selection, via input E.

Dave

infinitig35

Joined Mar 3, 2008
Well Dave, I don't recall hearing the teacher mention conditional logic, but I have short term memory so I could forgot. Anyhow, I have couple more problems that I'll post tomorrow morning hoping you or anyone here can help me out. thanks all

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Well Dave, I don't recall hearing the teacher mention conditional logic, but I have short term memory so I could forgot. Anyhow, I have couple more problems that I'll post tomorrow morning hoping you or anyone here can help me out. thanks all
Conditional is probably the wrong word. The 2 AND gates have a conditional input - the enable input E - which dictates the function of the SR latch. The question is so ambiguous you probably should drop the answers into a hat and draw one at random! Let your teacher know that as well!

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Yes, it should be "combinatorial".
Yes "combinatorial" was the word I was trying to think of before, not conditional :(

Essentially it is pre-logic (conditioning-logic) that clarifies the validity of the input variables via the enable function.

Dave

EDIT: Just seen cumesoftware's answer from yesterday stating "combinatorial".

infinitig35

Joined Mar 3, 2008
Hey guys, I was at class last night and this question was brought up to the teacher. He gave us a hint the answer has the word "pulse" in it. He said the second word contain an "s" in the first letter.

nomurphy

Joined Aug 8, 2005
If logic gates are used to feed the inputs of an S-R latch
If the S & R inputs are fed into (AND) gates with a clock input controlling the gating of each, then it is a synchronous system and not combinatorial. The answer is probably "synchronous pulse" or some version thereof, such as "pulse synchronizing".

This can be used in large digital systems where all latches are to switch states effectively in unison (although today it's not the best way).

The instructor's ambiguity in the question leaves a lot to be desired. I guess that's why you have to attend class.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
If the S & R inputs are fed into (AND) gates with a clock input controlling the gating of each, then it is a synchronous system and not combinatorial. The answer is probably "synchronous pulse" or some version thereof, such as "pulse synchronizing"
I have come across asynchronous pulse logic in papers, but not synchronous pulse logic (thats not to say it doesn't exist). From the level of the question, I struggle to see that the tutor would have covered this. Sounds like banging a few words into Google and seeing what comes out.

For all intents purposes, the description you reference from the OP sounds like a gated SR latch: http://sub.allaboutcircuits.com/images/04178.png

Dave