Logic Families

midrees

Joined Aug 22, 2010
I need to teach about Logic Families (TTL and CMOS) to my students.How i can teach my students confidently.Can any one help me how to get easy start with my students . I need to learn first for my self.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
I need to teach about Logic Families (TTL and CMOS) to my students.How i can teach my students confidently.Can any one help me how to get easy start with my students . I need to learn first for my self.
Start out with making sure they all understand what logic circuits are and why they're used or you'll just end up losing a few from the start. When I worked for the University Physics department I was occasionally called to fill in to lecture for a teacher that had fallen ill and found that many were far from being on the same page; matter of fact some were totally lost.

May I suggest assuming nothing even if you know it's going to bore them. Start with a simple example of an OR gate built out of two diodes then briefly go through the history of RTL & DTL. Once you're sure everyone's on the same page move into TTL and spend the most time there as the jump to CMOS is then easily explained.

And plan to inject some humor in from time to time. Nothing gets and keeps a student's attention more than a "one time I really messed up and" story related to the subject.

And if possible mock up a few examples so you can ask "what do you think should happen if I" situations.

There are true teachers, then there are those that ominously go "by the book" and get nowhere.

I need to learn first for my self.
BTW: How did you pull this assignment if you're not familiar with the subject matter to begin with?

midrees

Joined Aug 22, 2010
Thank you very much dear. I explored this site and i found a lot of useful information. Could it be possible to help me to design a simple digital electronics practical note book for beginners.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I know they are out there. I have a simple package called PaintCAD that also has a complete template of logic gates. I have made several such templates that you can use a simple graphic editor such as M/S Paint to cut and draw circuits from scratch.

You can download it here.

Introduction and PaintCAD

Something else that might help.

Creating an XOR gate

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
And plan to inject some humor in from time to time. Nothing gets and keeps a student's attention more than a "one time I really messed up and" story related to the subject.

And if possible mock up a few examples so you can ask "what do you think should happen if I" situations.

There are true teachers, then there are those that ominously go "by the book" and get nowhere.
Never has a truer word been said. I used to teach RF fundamentals and RF comms and I found that "teaching" was a no no. Think of yourself more as a facilitator. There were a few rules I used to follow:

DO NOT tell them the answers.

DO NOT just read from the book.

Get THEM to work it out.

Prompt them/Guide them.

Be a friend, talk to them NOT down to them.

Don't be affraid to make mistakes, we all do.

As Marshall said make it fun. If you get boring you have lost them and it is very hard to get them back.

Have fun and they will to.