Logic/component question

Tobias

Joined May 19, 2008
For example sake, I have a push button that turns on and off a light. I need to continually hold the button down to keep the light on. When I remove my finger from the button, the light turns off.

Is there a logic gate/component that I can use that will allow me to quickly push the button once and remove my finger to turn on the light and another click of the button to turn it off? I know I can use a little PIC but is there another logic component that would do the same thing?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
It would be lots simpler to use a maintained function pushbutton switch instead to the momentary one. Push down to click it on, push again to click it off.

Otherwise, you could arrange for the PB switch to clock a D flip flop, whose Q^ output was tied to the D input. With each clock, the flip flip changes state.

Tobias

Joined May 19, 2008
Thanks for the replies to my questions. This is for a motorsports application to release a transbrake. So reaction time is critical so I want to stay away from the maintained function style.

I will study up on the flip flop.
Thanks again

It would be lots simpler to use a maintained function pushbutton switch instead to the momentary one. Push down to click it on, push again to click it off.

Otherwise, you could arrange for the PB switch to clock a D flip flop, whose Q^ output was tied to the D input. With each clock, the flip flip changes state.