Locator circuit

SparksWillFly

Joined Mar 1, 2014
Hi, my names Dave and I live in Redcar, UK.

I am a beginner and was looking for a simple project as a starter, so I decided to build a ferret locator for my field sports activities.

For those who are unclear about what this is, it's a small collar that is put on a ferret before it is released to go underground. The transmitter on the collar emits a constant 'clicking' signal that is picked up on a receiver unit, sometimes just a simple LW/MW/FM radio, allowing the ferret's position underground to be pinpointed.

It seemed like a straight forward project right up to the point whereI started researching it, then I realised how little I knew.

Can anyone offer any advice on how I get started....?

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
Triangulation to track a ferret! Wouldn't signal strength do it?

I did a search on Google images for "Animal Tracker Transmitters" and it came up with a few ideas.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
But seriously, this is not a beginners first project unless you build a broad band radiator like a spark gap. That would be compatible with several different radios being able to detect the signal.

Anybody know a way to do a broadband radiator on batteries that a ferret can carry?

Maybe an oscillator to get a high enough voltage to fire a neon bulb? Neon bulb noise sure is a nuisance in Fender guitar amps!

Last edited: