Locally saved Datasheet collection

signupsr

Joined Jan 21, 2011
Gday,

im a little concerned with the internet kill switch legislation that was passed a few weeks ago, it means we could loose access too all the data-sheets... etc

this is a big problem as i tend to make use of virtually all recycled components which cannot be recognized any other way,

Does anyone know where you can download such an archive ?, like you can of Wikipedia

thankyou for your input,

PS if manufactures make a list of theirs avaliable somewere i would be happy to compile a collection and upload it too .torrent

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
What is this kill switch? Is it something to do with the internet censor in Australia?

I've got some datasheets for PIC and AVR stuff, only a few ones though (mostly FRM's), probably not enough to make a database.

radiohead

Joined May 28, 2009
Like in Egypt recently, the government would have the ability to shut off the Internet with the exception to certain systems (government). The same may apply to cable/Satellite TV, and telephonic/cellular communications.

A kill switch would only be initiated in the event of a severe crisis.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
here is the article i read regarding the kill switch

http://www.infowars.com/internet-kill-switch-bill-will-return/

it seems i must have gotten it confused with another bit of legislation the US liberty's, sorry for the confusion, still concerned however and if anybody knows a solution too downloading a collection of freeware datasheets we are still interested !
Seriously. Alex Jones. Fearmonger, scaremonger. Just look at the advertisement for the wallet which blocks RFID. Yeah.

(Side note: RFID's range is less than 10cm, so most good coat pockets and simple distance from the transceiver will "block RFID")

And the ads for an emergency food garden... anyhow...

I'd still be interested in such a datasheet archive. Sites like alldatasheet.com might be interesting places to start, but I'm not aware of any actual datasheet listing. Especially not one you can mass-download.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I'd certainly like to download the datasheets, I'm not sure a 1 TB drive would be enough to hold them, even as PDFs at under 100k each (most aren't). And a Terabyte is a TON of data, (I didn't realize the scale until I lost 1 TB worth).

It'd have to be a torrent of all the info from a datasheet website, no other way to transfer that amount of data.

I'm not sure if you can get a DVD set of datasheets from each manufacturer or not, that would be another route.

signupsr

Joined Jan 21, 2011
yeah alex jones does tend too lay it on abit thick with all those socalled military types and contracted scientists talking about.... blahh

and im not sure how much you can compress pdf files... i think less than 50% in most cases... but 2tb drives start at $100AUD at the moment, and you would want an extra one for backup obviously

signupsr

Joined Jan 21, 2011
i know there is somebody out there with a solution*bump* even some website mirroring software that gets around the BS on the freeware datasheet sites,

or a collection we can upload too torrent !

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
i know there is somebody out there with a solution*bump* even some website mirroring software that gets around the BS on the freeware datasheet sites,

or a collection we can upload too torrent !
One of the problems you'll have is that datasheets are rarely sensibly named. For example, the datasheet for the PIC24FJ32GA002 is named 39881D.pdf.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I'm and advocate of storing datasheets you've used (or are interested in). Overall they tend to be very small on a personal hard disk.

radiohead

Joined May 28, 2009
To download every data sheet would be an incredible undertaking. I, personally only download the datasheets I need. The Internet in the U.S. isn't going anywhere (I hope).

As for the RF ID blocking wallet... put your driver's license and other RFID pass cards in an Altoids box.