load cell to measure force

Suaad

Joined Dec 10, 2013
Hi

I have a project to finish in 3 months
and one month to design

my project is basically about measuring the stiffness of the tissue and I am in process of making a device or a technique for it

So basically I am going to design a beam that is attached to a wall which is suppose to be flexible in order to position the load cell on this beam
there are 4 beams, they will in a way will hold the tissue in 4 directions and I will put a load over the membrane, noting that 2 beams are flexible while the other two are fixed, the memberane will deform and the beam suppose to get bent and the load cell suppose to give me a value

the dimension of the beam is undefined .. I dont know how small should it be designed...what i know is the cell loads are very large and my beam dimensions should be either in mm or cm ..well I am not sure according to what, should i design the beam

the tissue that I am measuring is a cancer cell

Since this is my first time doing this kind of project ..I have no idea which load cell good (I though about the Sbeam load cell .. but is there Sbeams in cm or mm diminsions? )
about the beam I need to have 2 flexible and 2 fixed beams so what kind of material can I use to make the beams flexible and fixed

I thought of Polycarbonates material .but I am not sure if the load that i will apply to tissue which is less than gram (i dont know if this is even correct but what i mean is ..it will be a small load over the membrane ) is enough to make the beam flexible

I hope u can advise me here

Thank you So much

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
What on earth are you talking about? How do 4 beams coming off a wall measure a cancer cell? And whattissue? This just sounds bonkers. Maybe if you drew a picture it would make some sense.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
But anything you can build with your hands is going to be several orders of magnitude too large, compared to individual cells.

dumpystig

Joined Apr 10, 2013
Yep. From his somewhat vague description I'm thinking of the 4 beams forming a square, one opposing pair being rigid and the other pair being the 'flexible measuring' assembly to which would be attached the 'load cell'. This load cell (electrical measuring device) is then somehow meant to measure the stiffness of a single cell of cancerous tissue (?)

That's some project...

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
This is too bizzarre. I'm imagining OP in a basement dungeon with chains and shackles all over, and beams bolted to the walls and human skin stretched between them. How many folks do you need to kill for their people pelts before you find one with cancer?

Anyway, there are already elasticity testers out there.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
ps, I'm in a very tough part of my winter chores right now...watching paint dry. Can't resume until the dew dries off in the morning sun.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Haha, my "dew" is frozen hard at -5°F. Winter chores around here revolve around putting logs on the fire and making Irish coffees.