LM3914 Alternatives

nickorossa

Joined Jun 28, 2010
Hi

Are there any alternatives to the LM3914 Bar Graph Driver?

I'm about to place an order for some bits for a few projects and the only part I can't get is the LM3914. I'm ordering from CPC (http://cpc.farnell.com) which is part of Farnell, but they don't do that particular chip whilst the main Farnell site does.

I don't really want to have multiple orders from different suppliers as the overall costs go up due to P&P etc. Is there an alternative chip that does the same/similar functionality?

Thanks.

Nick.

P.S. I'm in the UK.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The NTE1508 is a re-labeled LM3914, and you will pay anywhere from 3x to 10x as much for it.

Note that the LM3914N has been replaced by the LM3914N-1. They are functionally identical.

You can go on National Semiconductor's site, and find authorized distributors for this part. Then look to see which distributors also carry the other parts you need.

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
The NTE1508 is a re-labeled LM3914, and you will pay anywhere from 3x to 10x as much for it.

Note that the LM3914N has been replaced by the LM3914N-1. They are functionally identical.

You can go on National Semiconductor's site, and find authorized distributors for this part. Then look to see which distributors also carry the other parts you need.
From the store he is ordering from, they have LM3916 (N-1 ?)
Any idea off the top of your head what the difference is between th3 3914 and 3916?

mtripoli

Joined Feb 9, 2010
The LM3914 is a "linear analog disply". The LM3916 is a VU (volume unit) meter. As I recall (it's been awhile) if you look at the data sheet they show the internal voltage divider string. The string for the VU meter has different values whereas the LM3914 has a "linear string". If you just want "bouncing lights" either will work. IF you want to monitor audio the LM3916 is a better choice.

Mike T.

P.S. If you want "bouncing lights" National has their "fun light" which is like a "color organ". Then there is always a uC with an analog input; you can program the lights to do whatever you want.

nickorossa

Joined Jun 28, 2010
Hi

I'd seen the 3915 which is logarithmic and the 3916 which is decibels :confused:.

I think I'll order the 3914 from RS and be done with it. RS are just expensive to order small quantities from :confused:

Thanks.

Nick.

nickorossa

Joined Jun 28, 2010
Hi

The purpose of the chip is to provide an decrementing display on battery power for my kids electric car. That way I can train them not to get upset when the batteries need charging :rolleyes:

Nick.

mtripoli

Joined Feb 9, 2010
You have access to the bottom and top end of the voltage divider string so you can set it for whatever you want. The LM3914 should do you just fine!

Mike T.