LM339 Help

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Thank you it was very helpful just wanted clear that up with vd equally zero t8 state is unknown
In the real world, when the inputs are equal to the offset voltage, the gain is so high that ambient EMI and semiconductor noise (and resistor noise, if there are unbypassed resistors on the inputs) will cause the output to be fluctuating, possibly from rail-to-rail, assuming you have a pullup resistor.

crash563

Joined Feb 25, 2013
ok so when (-) higher than (+), T2 will increase, T3 will decrease, T5 will increase, and T6 will increase. So is it T6=T3 to turn T7 off or T6>T3 to turn T7 off.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
ok so when (-) higher than (+), T2 will increase, T3 will decrease, T5 will increase, and T6 will increase. So is it T6=T3 to turn T7 off or T6>T3 to turn T7 off.
You are nitpicking. What is the difference between = and >?
Is it a millivolt?
A microvolt?
A nanovolt?
A picovolt?
A femptovolt?
You are driving me nuts. This is my last word on this subject. If others want to follow up, they will.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
This is getting insane!

Okay. Ideal world. Perfect matching. No noise. When the two input voltages are identical, each transistor carries one-half the current from the current source. As one input becomes larger than the other, the transistor with the higher Vgs passes more of the current from the current source and the other transistor passes less. This occurs reasonably linearly for the differential voltage up to somewhere around the thermal voltage of about 26mV (much less in the case of a Darlington, probably by β, but I'd have to think about that). At some point, the differential voltage will reach enough so that all (or effrecticvely all) of the current from the current source will be going through one of the transistors and the other will be cutoff.

In the real world, non-perfect matching results in an input offset voltage which is the input voltage required to bring everything to the same final condition that would occur in a perfectly matched case with zero differential input voltage.

In the real world, noise is enough that, about that input offset voltage, the behavior will be as if there is a random signal jumping it back and forth across that boundary.

If you have further DIFFERENT questions, then ask. But please stop asking the same questions over and over and over.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
We all get what we tolerate from other people. Worse yet, we will have to tolerate the behavior that we reward in others, even if we enable some people to behave badly.

We can all elect to make rational decisions to stop answering the posts of IGNORant people (i.e. people who IGNORE facts). If we cave into our obsessive-compulsive need to answer every dangling post, then we essentially encourage ignorant OPs to continue to behave badly and essentially reward them for asking to be spoon-fed like infants.

I understand that we are all trying to be nice and help the next generation of engineers and hobbiest advance the field but, I cannot imagine the amount of wasted time required to teach each detail of each point of electrical basics to every wanna-be engineer as a many-on-one dialog through a forum. At some point, we just have to answer an OP with a polite, "OPEN A BOOK", "READ THE DATASHEET", or "GOOGLE IT YOURSELF!"