LM337SP voltage regulator. what does the SP mean?

Videodrome

Joined Nov 12, 2009
working on a synth project and the parts bill lists a lm337sp. i ended up using a voltage regulator labeled simply lm337 and i keep on burning out power supplies and think it may be because im not using the exact one listed in the parts list. could someone tell me what SP means and why its significant? thanks folks:)

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
I would recommend you replace it with the beefier LM337T type regulator anyway; if they keep burning out, you have probably exceeded their limits.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Radio Shack carries this part too.

Since you don't have a location on your profile we have to guess if you have access to certain sources.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Radio Shack carries the LM317, but I think most RS stores stopped carrying the LM337 20 or more years ago.

Without knowing anything about your supply or load, I'll suggest that either you do not have a large enough heat sink on the regulator IC, your transformer is putting out too much voltage, or you have too much of a load on the output.

Post a schematic if you want better help.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
The letters &/or numerals at the end of a device part # usually indicate an improvement &/or change in the design or packaging, much the same as they did with vacuum tubes.