LM317 Higher output than calculated

Artfldgr

Joined Aug 15, 2008
hey,
back now that the machine will work for a while.

here is an example of my artwork..

This piece was stolen and the police didn't want to do anything about it, since that would mean paperwork over some art... right?

and my photography...

even journalism.. :)

I have stuff that blows the doors off...
arts, sciences, design, writing, etc..

however cant have equality if someone blows the curve, so its better to warehouse and let time take care of it.. no?

so rather than research and design, i watch the others upstairs fumble, and i get their stuff to work, and i write stuff for them to do research on top of my job. :p

all with the hope of bringing something out there for a better world, and a bit of something for my family, after helping so many others.

sorry... but i am pretty bitter now that i am not young, and have wasted huge amounts of my life investing in a future that isnt going to happen (and costing me a future i could have had otherwise)

but the world wants their stuff from the right aesthetic, and i am not it.
i have no face to front for me, and my skills are wrong for doing everything.

thanks for the thought!!!

and thanks for being concerned that i might lose something...

but alas, without capital its lost anyway, or it remains hidden in a drawer which does no one any good.

you should see my good stuff... :D

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
... i would love to patent or protect what i work on, but i cant.

If i could i would have done so with a lot of other much better much more profitable and market driven solutions using new materials, or exploiting other things.

in fact i have a few items and the research place i work for only needs me to prove that the concept works... then THEY will patent things, and find licensing or start a company. its a GREAT deal if i can pull i off as the results are split three ways between my department, the whole institution, and myself/team...
Ummm... I'm quite sure I don't understand your situation, but it is normal for a company to own any patents you develop on their dime. What you cook up at home is usually NOT part of the contract you sign, but of course there is a grey area in between. And the company is foolish if they don't properly recognize the inventor, as "their" patents are easily invalidated by competitors if this is discovered.

But my point is: If you think this invention is covered by an agreement you have with your employer, then I doubt they'd appreciate it being released publicly. Trafficking in stolen trade secrets could even put some of us at risk.

I'm just saying you should be careful. I'm working on things I expect to patent, but the stuff I post here is just supporting, basic and generic stuff, because like you I don't know this stuff very well, it's not the IP.

Artfldgr

Joined Aug 15, 2008
hi,
I haven't had time to look at the comments, my apologies. I will look at them as soon as I can. I did take the time when I got home though to rework the image so that it had the corrections put in. If I missed something let me know and I will fix it again. :)

A great weekend to everyone!!!!

Attachments

Artfldgr

Joined Aug 15, 2008
couldnt miss your post wayne and wife is not quite ready yet.. :p

If you think this invention is covered by an agreement you have with your employer, then I doubt they'd appreciate it being released publicly. Trafficking in stolen trade secrets could even put some of us at risk.
nope.. this invention isnt covered by anything...

and i do NOT expose IP externally, so don't worry about that!!!
in fact, that is my complaint about academics who generally don't take how serious and valuable IP is. (i know not all, but im lucky, i get the ones that don't, and think that the idea of such is for hollyweird movies).

this just uses one chip that is in another thing that i want to do that i do want to bring to them...

but one chip is not really revealing anything... is it?

nor would learning other parts which are just general things like how to get a pic to access a microSD flash... which doesnt tell you anything either..

i was replying to the prior post that said they hoped that i had done that kind of thing. but since i am in a not to great place after a long time of trying hard and never stopping, i was a bit snippy with how the landscape is for such work when one is not in the pipeline of larger favored companies.

i do software for the salary..
and i volunteer help the researchers build stuff to help the research if i can on my own since that kind of support is absent where i am

the patent thing is just the annoying thing that happens when you actually produce things that can earn and you get close and dont really have any weight or resources... to tell you the truth, at that point many are just making a business decision based on business options, pay off, and odds of punishment. given that its not criminal, and they have pockets, i dont... its a business choice...

lastly, my problem and why i need to make the proof of concept is that the people involved cant conclude from paper much of anything. this is why the problem happened, because i could and the other person could, but the admin couldn't, and the academic well, was an academic. :rolleyes:

I would never violate IP stuff...
IP is the only thing that really creates value out of raw stuff...

now i HAVE to go... wife is 'ready' and i have to stand until she is ready ready :D

Artfldgr

Joined Aug 15, 2008
Hi all,
Here is the LED display bar
[a slight change to this circuit removing a few things and using a button to activate clock pulses, and you can have a 8 stage LED reading light with one button that raises the light or lowers it]

In the circuit i probably will be adding a zener diode (5.1v) to protect the 74HC14.
:D

Attachments

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
so i have 30 years of notebooks and things that encompass many solutions... many of them now are products done by others who were in a better place

Same boat here on quite a few things, it was relieving to see one of them actually fail to sell though. Luckily there are several they haven't got yet, and the most important one (which will actually require quite a bit of funding) - well someone got kind of close about 15 years ago but he did it totally wrong so I just kep my fingers crossed until I can get the funding. I've been working on a source for years now and it will eventually pay off, I just need to be very careful who I share any info with and they get virtually no details so it comes down to having friends in the right places.

As far as protecting an idea only a patent can do that 100%, but "proof of concept" can sometimes allow you to go after a percentage if someone takes your idea and runs with it. Currently the patent office is well over a year behind, mainly due to people trying to patent things like a new texture for toilet paper ar really silly stuff.

Proof of concept is not too hard to do if you have some friends in business. You put together all of your documentation and a demo unit. You make a lot of copies of the documentation then get them notarized by several different notaries, preferrably not your "works out of their house" type. Show the demo unit and documentation to the most important of these (try to include a lawyer in the bunch) and explain that you're trying to protect your idea in the only way you can at present. You then seal these notarized documents as permanently as possible, mail one to yourself and several other people you'd consider to be of reputation including the above who've seen it work via USPS Regsitered Mail with explicit instructions to the recipients NOT to open the envelope when they get it; just to file it away.

The Regsitered mail provides a verifiable date that can hold some merit in future.

You should also try to talk to people in business who have gone through the patent process, explain to them what you're trying to do and the situation you're in. Ask for advice on what they'd do if they were in your case.

Artfldgr

Joined Aug 15, 2008
i had a nice write up that was swallowed, dont have time for it twice.
the piezo is 44mm across... mouser has one for about $1.69 :)

the idea is simple, rectify the piezo output, convert it to a spike, clip the spike and pass it through two inverters...

since the chips can go at MHZ, and the piezo can take hits much faster than drops can hit it... no prob...

Attachments

Artfldgr

Joined Aug 15, 2008
Marshall,
I work for a place that does research on top of educate, and the same thing the researchers get if they have technology employees can get if they have technology, especially if they are working with a researcher.

I have no capital to patent... its way too expensive, and even if i did patent, i have no money to pursue infringers...

but i DO have a couple of researchers, the ideas, and need another skillset to round the team out so that we can make some IP happen. in the absence of a skillset i tend to buckle down and pick it up and work hard to get it going myself.

its frustrating... and recently more so..
and as detailed for reasons having little to do with any merit of things.
but more having to do with blowing some future aesthetic

anyway.. thanks for the good words.. wish you the best on your project!

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
A patent isn't as expensive to get as you might think provided you do a lot of your own research work, just very time consuming.

The mere fact of having one in place is not enough to stop people from trying to duplicate your work but it keeps the serious people away from trying to market something. They have no idea if you've got money to pursue infringement or not.