List of common circuits u need to know?

brucester

Joined Dec 24, 2012
Hello,

I am confused.

I have been studying my ass off learning all the basic electronic info.

I understand parallel and series circuits, ohms law, resistors and capacitors etc but now i have no idea what to do with it. I come from a computer science background and just dont understand analog electronics. The components are simple to understand, but aranging them in a way to do something is confusing.

Its like learning the keywords of a programming language but not understand the basic algorithms. Like bubble sort and such.

Is there a cookbook for analog circuits that outlines the main common circuits that are used over and over?

Hard to explain what i am trying to say.

If anyone understands what i am getting at i would greatly appreciate your help :)

Thanks

SPQR

Joined Nov 4, 2011
Hi,

Go to the top of the page and click on "Vol. 1 - DC" and you will see a remarkable index of information on electronics,
with thousands of example circuits.
Then click on all of the other titles.

It is a fantastic resource, and those who put it together should be proud, and we should be thankful for their work.

I'll google looking for a circuit, and very often Google brings me back to one of those pages.
They are now one of my "primary sources".

It is fantastic because it goes to the lowest level possible with most cirucuits.
If you see a NOT gate, it will show you how to make one with transistors and resistors.

I haven't scratched the surface of info available here.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Your situation just like any person whom could recognize much more vocabularies but he doesn't know how to make a sentence, and also doesn't know how to use english, specially the people in the countries of non-english language system like me.

So you have to get started from the very basic circuit that it's working fine, study the theory, using breadboard to assembly it and soldered it, and post your problems.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
two 'Sams' books top my bookshelf, IC Op-amp cookbook (Jung), and Active-Filter Cookbook (Lancaster). Inverting and Non Inverting Opamps are a really good place to start.

JingleJoe

Joined Jul 23, 2011
I wonder how closely analogue circuitrs represent programming? I don't think it's that similar having done some of both but then again I'd like to see someone try to unify them somehow :D

I would say oscillators, amplifiers and timers, but the individual circuits are so varied and such a multitude that you can't really learn them all.

Start with what you want to do, for example; make a light fade in and out, I can think of three ways to do that as I type this sentance hahaha :p I think i might go for some op amp buffers and a simple RC network or you could inearize a capacitor's charge by putting it in the negative feedback of an op amp and have that drive the lights (which I assume are LEDs). Then you have to take into account current requirements and voltage limits of the components and all kinds of things, like power supply ripples! some things just won't work properly without power supply filtering; that's where they get that old engineering phrase-
Any device is only as good as it's power supply!

I think I've drunk-rambled enough now, merry xmas :)

EDIT: Just drew up a circuit with a high pass filter in it and thought ... how could I forget filters!?!?!, got noise on your line? unwanted oscillation at a frequency you don't want? want to home in on one frequency? Then a filter is what you need! low pass, high pass, band pass, notch reject, we got them all! get yours today for the low low price of some capacitors and resistors!

Last edited: