Linux Kernel platform programming

Scott_David

Joined Jun 17, 2010
Im interested in learning the code to program. My goal is to be able to read the code in the phone modules already and to decipher that.

Of if there are any sources of the internal circuitry of phones, that would be helpful. I need to know what data is accessible for creating an application

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Im interested in learning the code to program. My goal is to be able to read the code in the phone modules already and to decipher that.

Of if there are any sources of the internal circuitry of phones, that would be helpful. I need to know what data is accessible for creating an application
I am not a kernel hacker by any stretch of the imagination, and much of what goes on inside the Linux kernel seems like magic to me, even though the code is fully exposed for the world to see. I think it's the various data structures, and how they all tie together, that throws me...

With that said, I've found it invaluable to download the kernel source at kernel.org and play with things. Find the module you are interested in (or one similar to what you are looking for) and play with it! It's easy to recompile and install modules, reboot, and see what happens. I've learned quite a bit that way (especially wrt the ethernet adapter I spoke of above).

Play on a junk computer that you don't mind bricking. And most of all, have fun! (Isn't that what Linux is for???)

Edit: when I play with the Linux kernel, I just keep telling myself, "Its just a program...it's just a program..."