Link Step Failed in MPLAB using P18F4550

corsair

Joined Mar 6, 2010
I'm new to PIC microcontrollers and this is one thing that has been haunting me for a while. I don't understand the cause of this "Link Step Failed" problem.

I am using the P18F4550 uC, which is wired to a 4-digit, 7-seg display and some switches. This is for a school project.

The error I am getting after I try to build is as follows:
Error - file './mows.o', section 'APP_main', Symbol 'main' out of range of relative branch instruction.
Errors : 1

Link step failed.
Here is my code from APP_Reset to main:
Rich (BB code):
APP_Reset code 0x1000
		goto	main	

APP_main code 0x102A	

main:
This is inside of my "18F4550.lkr" file:
Rich (BB code):
CODEPAGE   NAME=vectors    START=0x0            END=0x29           PROTECTED
//CODEPAGE   NAME=page       START=0x2A           END=0x7FFF
CODEPAGE   NAME=page       START=0x1000           END=0x8FFFF
CODEPAGE   NAME=idlocs     START=0x200000       END=0x200007       PROTECTED
CODEPAGE   NAME=config     START=0x300000       END=0x30000D       PROTECTED
CODEPAGE   NAME=devid      START=0x3FFFFE       END=0x3FFFFF       PROTECTED
CODEPAGE   NAME=eedata     START=0xF00000       END=0xF000FF
I've even commented out most of my code, I just don't know what the cause of this problem is. Any help would be much appreciated, and if more information is needed I would be glad to provide it.

corsair

Joined Mar 6, 2010
I observed a fault.

I tried uncommenting my code little by little, and I was able to recover a lot of it. However, when I recover too much, it'll give me the link step failed error- so am I just running out of memory? Is there a way to change this in the linker?

corsair

Joined Mar 6, 2010
just in case anyone needs the solution, here it is:

Recall that relative branch instructions can only travel +/- some displacement from the current location -- you need to use absolute jump instructions such as call or goto, which can go anywhere in the entire address space of the processor.