Linear Potentiometer with 60-degree Rotation

monster_catfish

Joined Mar 17, 2011
For the past few weeks I have scoured the net in search of a linear-taper rotary potentiometer whose full-scale deflection is limited to 60 degrees. Such rotary pots are evidently used in most joystick applications, yet my extensive searches have so far only located linear-taper, single-turn rotary pots designed for 300 to 350 degrees of angular deflection.

I already have a work-around solution in mind, which entails running the output of a 350-degree rotation linear-taper pot through a non-inverting amplifier with a gain of 5 or 6, so as to produce the full 5-volt swing over the 60-degree limited rotation of my DIY throttle lever, BUT, I would rather not add that extra circuitry if there does in fact exist a 60-degree rotation potentiometer that will give me that 0 to 5 volts output without the need for signal amplification.

So, I would be very grateful if any of you seasoned circuit-meisters would point me in the right direction to the website of a reliable vendor that stocks linear-taper, 60-degree rotation 100Kohm potentiometers. I wouldn't bother you guys with this question if I had not myself conducted an insanely long search for a rotary pot with the above specs. :(

Thanks in advance

Tony

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
Just use silver conducting paint to paint over the remaining portion of the circular resistance track which you don't want to have any resistance.

monster_catfish

Joined Mar 17, 2011
That is truly an innovative idea that I have never encountered, Mr.Chung. I may well wind up trying out this method if I am unable to locate a 60-degree rotation linear-taper pot, though applying that conductive paint does sound like a delicate task that would require some precision work to produce the right results.

All the same, if there happens to be anyone who can still think of a vendor for the part I really need, I would be grateful to hear of it, though it is good to know that a Plan B alternative exists, if my search is ultimately futile.

Thanks

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
With all the game controllers out there why not just get one from a unused game box and pull one of the pots from it? 'Green electronics.' :)

monster_catfish

Joined Mar 17, 2011
Shortbus I may wind up going the recycling route as you suggest. I have a couple of old joysticks laying around here, which I may wind up "sacrificing" for use in the throttle quadrant I'm cobbling together. Still and all though, I do find it a bit odd that 60-degree linear-taper pots, despite being so common in assembled products, are as scarce as hens teeth when sought off the shelf.

Should I opt to spare my "donor" joysticks from surgery, the fabrication of rotation-limiting stops described by Kingdano and Someonesdad might just be the fix that would suffice, to limit the deflection of a 350-degree rotary, linear-tapered potentiometer of the sort commonly available.

Guys I sure do appreciate the alternative fixes described here, but just in case anyone does recall a internet link advertising off-the-shelf linear taper pots with that 60-degree rotation spec that I seek, I'd still default to a new purchase if that option materializes before the construction is complete.

Regards

Tony

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I saw the insides of many joysticks over a lot of years. Most had standard 270' POTs that were positioned so that only the bottom 60' or so was used.

monster_catfish

Joined Mar 17, 2011
Now that is an eye opener, RB. It is beginning to look as though the fabled 60-degree rotation pots are not as common as I once assumed. I might have to stop holding my breath in anticipation of finding one, and just select one of the practical hints provided here.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Yeah it was pretty common to use partial rotation of the pots and the PCB in the joystick would have an opamp with a couple of trimpots to "trim" (and I assume amplify) the joystick pot voltages.

HJE

Joined Aug 21, 2021
These ones have an effective rotation range of about 80 degrees >>
https://www.nextfpv.com.au/collecti...etry-transmitter-replacement-side-slider-2pcs
They are 5 k Ohm (linear) and with a centre detent.

Another way to go is to DIY a Hall effect potentiometer. There are many examples of guys making their own joysticks like this. >>
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/content.php?r=88-Hall-Effects-Sensors-to-make-a-joystick
This one claims to get 0.1v to 5v over about 50 degree rotation with the sensor and magnet that he is using.

More Examples:

Last edited: