Linear CCD Slit Scan Camera ?

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Joined Jun 19, 2010
Hello ,

This is my first mail to forum and I want to present my best.

I want to build a camera which will have to have a linear ccd array , its cell powered small breadboard with memory .

The lens would be a slit and camera will be used handheld to make a experimental photograph which will be sliding cars , people or buildings.

I want to have parts which might be very cheap and ccd array lenght is 30 mm or longer. Color and largest memory and USB is preferred.

I dont want to solder anything and want plug and play.

Cost less than 35 dollars.

Is it possible and from whom ?

Thank you ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Istanbul

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
There was an instructable or maybe just a blog post on a few guys who made a 3D laser scanner.

They used a wine glass stem to make a vertical line laser from a standard laser pointer, then wrote some software to take video cameras CCD input and convert it to 3D files for use in 3D output devices.

Maybe you can use something from that.

[ed]
Ok, I cant find the one I was talking about, but here is something REAL cool. Instead of moving the camera slit, the camera stays still and you move the laser. That would be real easy.
If you have a red, green, and blue laser, you could make a color 3D image. I dont know if this can help you, or maybe get you in another direction, but you can do it for your 35 dollar budget. A $10 or less webcam and a $20 dollar laser level.
The software is free.
http://homebiss.blogspot.com/2009/02/diy-3d-laser-scanner.html
[/ed]

Last edited:

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
Not even close to what he's looking for retched. What he's talking about works like the photofinish camera at horse racetracks, it's very different than normal photography. It's a narrow slit and it can only photograph things moving across the cameras field of view. If you moved the camera instead you'd be taking a photograph of a stretch of time not an individual moment.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Ahh. Well, you never can tell. My getting the image into a vector environment, measurements and such would be much easier to gather.

Even if he wanted to use that to make the model then use a standard CCD to make the texture map.

Its all I had.

And he said experimental, for buildings people and cars. So it may be helpful.

I guess we will see if the OP returns.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
At one time around WWII, slit cameras got some use. One problem is that the film speed and the camera motion had to be exactly the same. If all went well, you could get a 1000 foot record of what had been under a photorecon aircraft in amazing deatail. Then the planes got shot at, and pilots got less interested, or something.

With a CCD scan, it might take some DSP to make an unblurred image.

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
With the hand scanners there's a wheel on the bottom of scanner which controls the actual data acquisition speed of the scanner, all you'd have to do is interface with that wheel mechanically to say a fixed tripod and then precise motion isn't necessary. Hand motion can be quiet variable which is why hand scanners use the wheels. As I said it's an out of the box instant solution. IF you can redesign the optics of the handscanner to refocus it, you don't even need software, you can use the stock TWAIN driver for the scanner..

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I can't find them now, but I had come across a couple of sights where people used flatbed scanners to capture images. So that's my suggestion, an old flatbed from the local junkyard. And if you like bulk, look for an old fax machine, but I don't recall any doing color.