Lightning detector tester

samuel.whiskers

Joined Mar 17, 2014
I'm building the lightning detector from techlib.com - schematic from that webpage attached.
It is apparently a simple receiver tuned to receive RF signals at approx 300kHz emitted by lightning.

The author of the circuit shows a simulator circuit you attach to the antenna of the detector.... I have built this, and it seems to act the way the author suggests - but I was wishing to build a simple transmitter to test the detector in a real sense - would only need to transmit several inches or so. I've thought of making a 555 oscillate at 300kHz and running an antenna from the 555 output....

Would this work?
Any other suggestions to make a burst of 300kHz RF??

(As indicated above - below circuit is from techlib.com - by C.Wenzel )

Attachments

Last edited:

samuel.whiskers

Joined Mar 17, 2014
I've seen that one suggested - will give a try.... I have an old Jacobs Ladder in a box somewhere as well, I figure it would probably do the same, but I was also hoping to actually reproduce in a circuit what the circuit is designed to detect.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
it is just looing for a burst of wideband noise. if you have an old fashoned buzzzer, they kind with a set of contact points and a coil, that will also work. 300 khz is just used on that circuit so there can be some selective gain to keep out broadcast am stations.

samuel.whiskers

Joined Mar 17, 2014
Well, so far the lightning simulator seems to do nothing.... but the fluorescent tube over my bench gets the detector flashing when it starts! I'll assume this means I'm working, and I'll wait for a storm.... :)