Lightning Bolt

christophee

Joined Jan 15, 2012
Hello, we are planning to use lightning bolt for out presentation this coming december. And we are planning to have a bolt that is similar to that of Percy Jackson's bolt in the movie. We are thinking of using LEDs but our coach wanted us to create a bolt with refraction effect, how can you help me? Any ideas? thank you! :D

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I would be tempted to use multiple strobe lights with LEDs. Unfortunately it would suck a battery dry in hours, if not minutes. Then there is the high voltage issue.

However, with things like EL wire such voltage are becoming more common.

I don't have a clue how you would build a bolt with a refraction effect. A blinding light seems a good substitute.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
' did not see movie, so maybe you could discribe the bolts in more detail. Bright white LEDs with a cotton difuser gives interesting effect. Put Lightning Clouds in find box, upper right this page.

christophee

Joined Jan 15, 2012
we would just hold the lightning bolt. How to do the blinding light effect? also how about the cotton diffuser? we are going for a spear type of blot, I must say.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Xenon flash tubes and the circuits that go with them could be used. They can be found for free in disposable film cameras. Arrange them in the lightning bolt and trigger them from one central trigger.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
The physical structure could be transparent flourescent tube cover, 4 ft or 8 ft long , about 1.5 in dia; ckt, batteries, & switch in one end. Loose cotton makes a good difuser for whatever light source is used. A few 100,000 mcd bright white LEDs giving short bursts, say four flashes of 60 ms, rep rate by push button switch.