Lighted toggle switch... doesn't

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
I kept forgetting to turn my air compressor off at night, and it would drain down (due to a small leak at the hose quick disconnect), and it would kick back on in the middle of the night.

Solution, I bought and installed a lighted Toggle switch, single pole.

It worked for a few days, maybe a week, then the "lighted" part stopped being lit.

Can I make my own, something that will last a few years?

Any suggestions welcome (even if it means fixing the compressor slow leak).

Thanks,
Gary

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
The "light" is probably an LED with a series resistor, to allow it to run from mains.

They are notorious for failing especially when the mains has spikes like from the inductive kickback of the motor when turning off.

If you get a new switch (or replace the LED in the old one) you can filter it better by putting a decent size cap across the LED.

I use 0.22uF greencaps as a general rule with power indicator LEDs on the mains;
Rich (BB code):
(cap is paralleled with LED)
AC live -> resistor -> 1N4007 diode -> LED -> AC neutral
                                    -> cap ->

Joined Nov 30, 2010
All the lighted switches I have met at Home Depot or Lowes were neon. They aren't very easy to destroy. Is the color neon red or some other color? Did you keep your receipt?

(Don't answer that. I was only trying to get you to think differently.)

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
WHAT?

Immediately after posting this reply, I turned around and looked at my compressor, to see where best to wire in a light, and low and behold, the light switch is working again. (It lights up blue when the switch is off.)

Go figure.

(my prior reply follows)

It was an Ebay buy, for which I gave + feedback.

I like the idea of a 110v light in the circuit.

I'm going to go with that.

Thanks all,

I'll keep the other mod suggestions here, for reference if needed later,

Gary

Last edited: