Light Switch Device

ace601

Joined Dec 13, 2012
We are trying to turn the lights off and on in a room by sending a signal to a light switch. We are not sure whether to use a radio controlled or infrared signal and need some advice on which to use. We bought an RC car if we decided to use an RC signal. With this car we would use its motor to somehow work with the light switch. The motor runs off a 5V system. Any suggestions on what relay to use would be helpful.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
You could simply use the steering or esc servo on the RC car mechanically coupled to the toggle switch via some linkage.

Since you didn't state what country you are in nor the line voltage of the light there is really nothing more we can answer.

IR controlled relay schematics are all over the internet.. Just google it for TONS of solutions.

Any relay rated to switch (contact rating) the line voltage and level of expected current with a coil rating that you can use (5V maybe) will work.

ace601

Joined Dec 13, 2012
We live in the United States. The line voltage of the light is 120V. We are looking for a digital relay application to be used inside the electrical box of the switch. Instead of using something physical to toggle the actual switch, we want it all to happen inside of the switch.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I have a Heathkit (ie. old) remote-controlled switch. I use it for the jets on my hot tub. Local code prevents the power switch from being within 8 feet of the water, so it's on the opposite wall, but the jets spray all over the bathroom if you get out of the water. Nice. Anyway, the remote switch solves this conundrum nicely.