Light engine definition?

Daemon

Joined Jun 20, 2009
Hi all
I bought a unit like in the following link from ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221197673787?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I assumed when I purchased it that I was buying a PCB and basically it had 2 connections from the constant current driver and would then run.
It seems my assumption was incorrect. The dc outputs of the driver were already soldered to the 2 middle points on that circuit board but there is no continuity between the DC+ of any of the LEDs and the DC+ of the driver output connection to the PCB.

I am not hopelessly new to leds etc and tried therefore to wire them in series myself like in the following image

However when I plug it in and turn it on I get some clicking from the driver and nothing else.
I have checked it over and over but have yet to test various points with my multimeter as I wasnt sure if I was doing damage by leaving it powered.

Could someone please have a look and tell me if I have wired it wrong?

Thanks
Steve

Attachments

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
output + goes to + on PCB
output - goes to - on PCB

slap a plug on the in side (L and N) and plug it into a wall

If that doesn't work the parts are faulty.

I assume there are already traces on the circuit board that connect the LEDs properly.
post a clear picture of the PCB showing the traces?

Daemon

Joined Jun 20, 2009
Hi.
No it doesnt appear to acually be a pcb at all. No traces.

And I have connected the + to the + of all the leds and - to the - so I have to assume faulty parts. Unless they are labelled incorrectly.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
No there ARE traces on the board.. (well the one in the picture of the ebay ad you posted shows traces on the circuit board anyways)...
Post a clear picture (not blurry..no glares) of both sides of the circuit board.

Daemon

Joined Jun 20, 2009
I think you my have cracked it. Looking very closely at the board there are black traces. Difficult to see but I can clearly see when following them that the traces go from what is marked and soldered as positive on the board into the negative of the first led and then in series from positive to negative through them all until the last positive comes out and is connected to what is labelled and soldered as negative on the board so in theory if I resolder the positive and negative outputs from the driver it should work correctly unless they are fried already

Daemon

Joined Jun 20, 2009
In fact thats exactly what the problem was and is now working perfectly.
For some reason my brain couldnt conceive of black traces. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
In fact thats exactly what the problem was and is now working perfectly.
For some reason my brain couldnt conceive of black traces. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
no problem..
Yes its usually more difficult to see traces on circuit boards with black solder mask.. But they are there ;)
And blacks the new green..