Life Fitness Exercise bike identify burnt IC on board

casevac

Joined Jan 11, 2021
I have an old Lifecycle recumbent bicycle Model R15-0000-01 where the DC motor that varies the resistance no longer works. The bike sometime starts up and everything else works but will always display FAIL on the screen after a short time. I have verified there is no voltage going to the motor. When I trace the board, it looks like there is a burned IC on it. As you can tell by the picture the IC has a bubble and I can not read all the writing. From the picture can anyone identify what this is?2a.jpg
For more detail. The board controls the DC motor which has a potentiometer on it that is read to determine the motor position. It is not a self-contained servo motor. I always leave the bike plugged in so I assume it got a surge from lighting. While the bikes display still works, I will need to replace the wall wert as it is rated for 9 volts but is putting out ~13 volts.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I have an old Lifecycle recumbent bicycle Model R15-0000-01 where the DC motor that varies the resistance no longer works. The bike sometime starts up and everything else works but will always display FAIL on the screen after a short time. I have verified there is no voltage going to the motor. When I trace the board, it looks like there is a burned IC on it. As you can tell by the picture the IC has a bubble and I can not read all the writing. From the picture can anyone identify what this is?View attachment 227492
For more detail. The board controls the DC motor which has a potentiometer on it that is read to determine the motor position. It is not a self-contained servo motor. I always leave the bike plugged in so I assume it got a surge from lighting. While the bikes display still works, I will need to replace the wall wert as it is rated for 9 volts but is putting out ~13 volts.
That may be a custom part, but anyway you'll need more information to sort it out. Finding a similar model or board might help identify the part. A schematic and service manual would be great but it may be very hard or impossible to find those.

Try posting a photo that includes more of the board. Experts here may figure it out.

Your wall wart observation is not unusual. I've seen a lot of problems, for instance, with routers that need a nominal 12V supply but the supplied wall wart gives 16V. Maybe under the rated load, the voltage is drawn down. But it's too high much of the time. I wouldn't expect your problems to stem from the wall wart but it's not impossible.

casevac

Joined Jan 11, 2021
Thanks for the reply. I hoped someone may identify what was burnt based on the writing that was left. Below are pictures of both side of the board with the burn component circled. With the bike being almost 15 years old I am not having much luck finding a schematic. There are some boards for sale online but no close pictures and no one willing to take them.

Inkedboard - Copy_LI.jpg

board back - Copy.jpg