LF Antenna Construction (125 to 134 kHz)

mossman

Joined Aug 26, 2010
I am attempting to capture the radiated wave from a couple passive RFID tags, one which transmits at 125 kHz and the other at 134 kHz. I need to make a rudimentary AM antenna to detect these signals and view the modulation on an oscilloscope. I am currently using a signal generator and near field antenna probe to transmit a carrier to stimulate, bias, etc. the tag which takes the signal, modulates it, and re-transmits it. I need to capture this re-transmitted modulated signal and view it on a scope so I can decode the modulation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Are you serious about the frequency? It seems way to low to be practical. I say that because an efficient antenna at those frequencies is incredibly long and there is very little bandwidth for data transmission at those frequencies. Very slow CW on a waterfall display is about all you can manage.

davebee

Joined Oct 22, 2008
A plain old ferrite loopstick should work.

I used to pick up LORAN transmissions at 100 kHz when working on circuits at my house. Even though the LORAN transmitters were several hundred miles away, it still was sometimes a struggle to keep the LORAN signal out of my breadboarded circuits. A few inches of wire at the input of an op-amp would pick up enough 100 kHz energy to show up on my scope.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Last edited:

mossman

Joined Aug 26, 2010
There's a ferrite stick antenna in a cheap AM/FM radio I have at home. Would this be able to pick up the transmitted RFID signal? Would I need to remove some of the loops to tune it to the 134 kHz range?