level shifter

Gytis111

Joined Dec 24, 2012
hi,

could somebody please suggest a level shifter(preferably from nxp, there are plenty of those in my local shop). other companies chips would do as well, i would try to find them.
parameters:
5v - 3.3v level shifting
for spi communication, so it's mosi, sck, and ss one way, miso the other
not smd, so big enough to solder easily
fast enough switching(?), because i'm going to use them for sd card interfacing, so more than 10MHz speed is possible

i'm now checking the nxp site, but the variety is overwhelming and i do not understand their clasification.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I don't see anything that matches your wishes... the "not smd" is a killer.

Hey, it's 2013, time to get with the program!

Gytis111

Joined Dec 24, 2012
thats home hobby project i'm doing and nothing on it is smd, so i thought it's kind of natural and easier to use normal size chips. Well, if i must use smd:(

i'll have to learn soldering it first, but it's a useful skill i guess.

and one more thing, aren't smd more vulnerable to heating? i heard that with smd power voltage regulators it is recommended to draw less current than it is in the specification, unless it is cooled. if so, using smd logic level shifters with high speed communication may also be dangerous?

Last edited:

Gytis111

Joined Dec 24, 2012
so still could somebody please recommend a chip which suits these requirements(can be smd, only bigger if possible). i'm having a hard time trying to find it myself.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Peeking around I found the TXB0104 from TI.

It's in an SOIC which is the easiest package to hand solder. Even Radio Shack has an adapter that works (it's damn expensive too, I get mine cheap off EBay).

I have no idea where you heard that about "smd more vulnerable to heating." It's just not true. And any regulator needs a heat sink or it must be de-rated.