Lethargic google ads

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Has anybody else noticed some seemingly intentional delay in google's "ads" section when you search? I have the fastest internet available; pages load instantly. But not Google's. When I search something, the page pops up instantly, but then 1-3 seconds later the blue "ads" section pops up, shifting everything down a few inches and displacing the first few search results that I was about to click on. I have no doubt that it's intentional - they're trying to juke you into clicking the ads. It's worked on me at least half a dozen times. I go to click the first result, and as my finger is on the downstroke, the ad pops up right under my cursor and I click it. Crafty clowns. Well, I can't put my finger on when this started happening, but I think it has been within the last week. anybody else noticed this?

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
I've noticed it with youtube - the first video on the side will be the promo, but it is loaded slower than the one you are looking for. I ended up clicking on it and wondering that between the commercials and privacy issues, I am not sure how much longer I will last. I need my radio back.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
GHOSTERY does the trick for me.

As well Opera can block any page element instantly- good for nasty ads that repeat over many months, and have no correlation to my life at all.

Crafty Clowns? I pretty much hate this stuff. This is Orwellian Warfare. Why can't I just checkmark somewhere:

-I am not a dummy
-I am not dumb
-I am not interested in dating adverts
etc.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
yes, with ebay as well. I don't think they are crafty though, but rather irresponsible handling of thier market. It wasn't long ago that a search in Google produced information, now it only produces sellers.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Well maybe I'll give firefox a try again, with the adblockers mentioned. I've tried it several times over the years but it just didn't "speak" to me. I prefer google chrome. Maybe I'll look at it as "sticking it to 'the man.'"

yes, with ebay as well. I don't think they are crafty though, but rather irresponsible handling of thier market. It wasn't long ago that a search in Google produced information, now it only produces sellers.
Maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention to the quality of google search results, but other than the lagging ads that I described, I perceive them as being just as relevant as they ever were. Do you have a recommendation for a better, more information oriented search engine?

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I was googling to buy some thing,after that every page no matter where I was

had a copy of that product,from different companies. They tract what you want to

buy,they are now tracting people that you may want to have dinner with and posting

in real time where that person is dining. They will alert you.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
how about actually getting an e-mail trying to sell you the equipment? I was looking up some information on patient monitors and the next day got an e-mail - "dear Sir, we are glad to know you are interested in patient monitors...." from some chinese company. This is using Chrome. I stopped using Firefox for other reasons, but maybe time to go back? Trying to figure out how my e-mail was linked as I do not have any accounts with google and was not logged on into anything else...

what really gets me is that they always get the gender wrong ;)

Last edited:

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Hello,

I am using Firefox with the "adblock plus" plugin.
https://addons.mozilla.org/nl/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/
This will have pages loading faster as it will block a lot of ads.
Also the pages will show "cleaner".

Bertus

The combination of Ad Block Plus and NoScript (default to allow from site only) makes surfing a lot faster, and protects your system from a lot of issues and annoyances.

Ad Block Plus and No Script are such helpful additions, they should be packaged with Firefox! You won't regret it. The only slight issue with No Script is getting used to it, otherwise you can't see some videos and features.