LEDs dance to music, need help please.

Blacky11

Joined May 27, 2010
Hi
I was wondering if I could get some help with this. I first have to say that this will be my first project and I don`t know much about circuit board making. Ive been looking around the internet for a couple of days now and I found a could of things that I like but no schematics on how to make one.
I would like to make a LED lamp that turns on 4 different LED lights: white, red, blue, and green. The input would be from a speaker wire and some how it divides the frequency into 4 different parts: A, B, C, D. Each letter going to a different color LED. Like I said before I don`t know much about making circuit boards so programing a chip sounds really hard right now. For the record I'm not looking for a VU circuit.

speaker wire in > divide frequencies into 4 > each frequency powers 21 LEDs of its color when the beat is played.

Im guessing im going to need another type of power input too, speaker wires wont be close to powering this thing.

Hope to hear from someone,
E

Blacky11

Joined May 27, 2010
Wow, that was really fast. This is exactly what i`m looking for. Thanks a lot for this link. Before i`m off to making one of these, are there any tips or tricks you can share with a newbie like me so i don`t mess anything up haha.

Thanks again,
E

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I'm afraid not. When they were hot (color organs) back when, the lamps were colored bulbs and the control was done with TRIAC's. It's lots easier and much safer with LED's.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Tips, if you haven't already, get some solderless breadboard to experiment with. When it is working have a look at some soldering videos on Youtube if you haven't done it for a while. Stripboard is good for soldering up basic projects.

Blacky11

Joined May 27, 2010
I was looking at this one:
http://home.roadrunner.com/~randylinscott//jan99.htm
Seems to be the easiest and started to buy some of the parts, noticed with your post that it calls the lights "lamps" and not "LEDs". Am I going to have to modify it to be able to run LEDs? If so how do I go about doing this.
Also I would like if you could explain a couple of things on the schematics. The 8 ohm to 5k ohm speaker input thing, what exactly do I buy there, whats an 82-1.5k resister, and what do I buy for the 117 volt Isolation Transformer (10T01). I live in a Spanish speaking country to I have to explain some of these pieces to them.

E

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
No, that is the more dangerous mains version. Those lamps could be 60W mains lights.
You most likely want to find a LED circuit which will probably run off a 12V or lower transformer.