LED's and Heat

LED Man

Joined Jan 15, 2008
Hey guys,

I'm having an argument...err.... discussion about LED's and whether or not they are notorious for producing heat.

Who is right? Any resources would be great, thanks.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The high power units need heat sinks. Figure 3.6V Vf at 700mw works out to 2.5W, the 1.4A units are double that.

In LEDs running at 20ma it is negligable, but there.

cjdelphi

Joined Mar 26, 2009
most 5mm LED's can't generate enough heat unless you put too much voltage through them even some of the cheaper IR led's these days you can run them at up to 100ma and i've touched it and got stung (but no burn)....

however, the more expensive LED's, Cree Q5,R2,R3,R4 they all take up to 1000ma and without good heatsinking, YES they can and WILL burn your fingers reaching 150c at core junction temperature hence the reason for decent heat sinking.

Maximum junction temperature: 150°C
Maximum drive current: up to 1 A
Low thermal resistance: as low as 9°C/W

http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLampXP-E.pdf

(also, check out the Cree MCE, SSC P7, 3amp LED's, plus the new XPG, R5 leds)

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The datasheet for every LED spec's its max allowed current which makes it hot.
LEDs are powered with current, not voltage.

I made a night-light with 36 Luxion SuperFlux LEDs that have a max current of 70mA but I used "only" 53mA. Boy oh boy oh boy did they get hot even when they were not at their max current and I housed them in a case full of holes.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
The datasheet for every LED spec's its max allowed current which makes it hot.
LEDs are powered with current, not voltage.

I made a night-light with 36 Luxion SuperFlux LEDs that have a max current of 70mA but I used "only" 53mA. Boy oh boy oh boy did they get hot even when they were not at their max current and I housed them in a case full of holes.
Thats a bright night light! Juh-eez!

36 Luxion SFs for a night light... I use two 1300 mcd kingbright white 5mm LEDs @ 20ma and that was fine for not bumping into things around the house.

I would like to see a photo of that beast.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Audioguru, that's about the same amount of light you get from an SSC P7 or an MCE, it's not all that bright these days, the SST-90 (with lens) anyway if you want to see a real BEAST in action check out the youtube video below.
Why do you talk in letters and numbers that don't mean anything to me?

cjdelphi

Joined Mar 26, 2009
I dunno, you did you mentioned you wired up luxon emitters to light up the back yard so i figured you knew something about flashlights guess i was wrong, but i did post a youtube video link....