Led strips

marcolisi

Joined Nov 18, 2008
Hello guys,
I bought a led strip that should be powerd by a battery of :

12v 160mA

I do not understand how can I make a power battery with the characteristics above.

If I connect 12 AA batteries of 2000 mAh , I have and amperage that is bigger than the one required.

Do I need a resistor and how do I calculate how much the resistor needs to be ?
thank you

Marco

leftyretro

Joined Nov 25, 2008
Hello guys,
I bought a led strip that should be powerd by a battery of :

12v 160mA

I do not understand how can I make a power battery with the characteristics above.

If I connect 12 AA batteries of 2000 mAh , I have and amperage that is bigger than the one required.

Do I need a resistor and how do I calculate how much the resistor needs to be ?
thank you

Marco
The larger total current capacity of the battery (2000mah) is not a problem and no changes are required. It just means that the larger battery will power the lights for 12X longer time.

As long as the battery voltage is the same all will work OK. The load (the LED lights) determine how much current is actually being consumed from the battery. I= E/R. I is the current being consumed, E is the battery voltage and R is the load resistance of the lights.

Make sense?

marcolisi

Joined Nov 18, 2008
Hi and thank u so much.
It makes sense.

Just 1 more question pls.
When I want to create a battery pack for a camcorder (for example), and the battery of the camcorder tells me that it is of

x Volts
and
y Amperes

can I build a battery pack made of AA battery being carefull just to not excede the x volts ?

What I mean is that as u said , the ampere tells me just for how long the battery will last. The higher the ampere , the longer the battery will last.

Am I correct ?
Thank u

leftyretro

Joined Nov 25, 2008
Hi and thank u so much.
It makes sense.

Just 1 more question pls.
When I want to create a battery pack for a camcorder (for example), and the battery of the camcorder tells me that it is of

x Volts
and
y Amperes

can I build a battery pack made of AA battery being carefull just to not excede the x volts ?

What I mean is that as u said , the ampere tells me just for how long the battery will last. The higher the ampere , the longer the battery will last.

Am I correct ?
Thank u
You are correct. Just be very certain that you wire any new external battery to the correct polarity as many devices have no protection from reverse polarity and can be destroyed if power is applied in reverse polarity.

Good luck