LED Street Light

atifbuitms

Joined Apr 10, 2010
now i am working on LED Street Light.plz give me any new idea and any new thing which can be make the Street light with low cost.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Ever look into high power LEDs? They tend to be called 1W and 3W LEDs, and come in a full range of colors, including white.

It's already being done, I was looking at one of those "How it's made" TV shows and they were using a bank of 12 or so.

Note: If you want to discuss it at this site you must assume a low power DC power supply. Trying to figure out how to connect it to high voltage AC (as in house mains) will get your thread closed here.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Just to qualify Bill Marsdens' suggestion; any project powered by mains must include a transformer that is fused on the primary side. Autotransformers are not acceptable, as they do not provide isolation from mains power.

A transformer with a properly fused primary winding is the only way that a mains-powered project can be made safe.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Have you considered solar recharged, battery powered lamps? This allows installation to be done pretty much anywhere without worrying about running high voltage lines through the area needed to be lit. Also, they can be used interchangeably with wired lights. Saving money on power from the power-co.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Watch out for snow!
The old lamp style ones get warm enough to melt the snow but apparently the LED ones don't which makes them kind of hard to see. There are probably ways around it but it needs considering.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
You are right. The way around it, or one of them, is to use your voltage regulator and any FETs and LED heatsinks mounted to the frame of the solar panel. This helps in keeping the panel warm enough to shed snow. Also using a Rain-X type product and having the panel at enough of an angle to help shed the snow.

The Rain-X type product I have not used for this application, as my panels have yet to be exposed to snow, but I had a conversation about it.

I was told that without windshield wipers constantly wiping the glass, the rain-x would only have to be applied yearly. And considering a yearly maintenance would be standard for...anything... it could be easily re-applied.

swank34

Joined Apr 9, 2010
l was wandering why you couldnt use a defroster like what is used on a rear window of a car. maybe it only comes on at certain times and melts the snow.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
You could use a defroster, but that would consume more power. Considering the fets and voltage regulators are already working like a defroster, and the device is battery powered, you would not want to run a defroster heater while already keeping the case warm enough to repel snow.

If you had unlimited power, it wouldn't be a problem.. But the resistive loading of a defroster heater would kill battery efficiency.

atifbuitms

Joined Apr 10, 2010
Dear i want to make a Street light.and use a main supply which is converted into 12V DC.plz tell me the Cheaper LED and tell me the purchasing Store.

atifbuitms

Joined Apr 10, 2010
i am from pakistan.i want to purchase in china or any other location which is providing us cheaper.and i want to purchase of 30,000 LED now but it will be increase with the respect of time.and i am using a 800 LED in a single Street light.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
You want 30,000 1w White leds? You better go to the manufacturer. I don't know who could handle an order of that size and give you a good price.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I have bought quantities that large before. Make several vendors bid, you might be surprised what you get in the way of prices. Large orders always get a quantity discount.

With a order that large the manufacturer will sell direct too, so that is a good option.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
PO mentions 800 LED street lamp on hand, no mention of current draw per LED, or of full lamp, or of operating voltage, [ 12V ?? ].

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
In another thread, he is trying to build the smps for the lamps. He originally started wanting 12v but I tried to talk him up to 48. I don't think he cares, he just wants them to work.

Bychon

Joined Mar 12, 2010
Atifbuitms, retched is referring to the fact that we don't even know what country you are in. That really matters when it comes to choosing a store.