LED Spacing

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I am trying to find out how to work out the distance between LED's to get the maximum light coverage from the LED's

Also when purchasing LED's I get confused. some are quoted in Watts and others in mcd with a value in nm Some have a colour temperature also.

I am trying to make a portable light for a maternity hospital for the staff to use when sutchering. I believe the required colour temperature for day light is 5500k to 6500k.

Could some guide me in the right direction please.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
6500K is the label on the box of, "Daylight" fluorescent tubes I bought, so I think that part is right.

The distance between the LEDs doesn't seem relevant. A single tungsten filament in the correct housing would do the same job just as well. What matters is how much light you can produce and how the housing diffuses or directs the light. In other words, jam them all together and work on the lens.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Yes most LEDs (and their associated "optics" if using them) will show a viewing angle or similar..
I like to simply draw some "cones" to represent the light and then work it out from there..
Most LED's will have a "spectral distribution" chart too which should show % of light at angle X or similar.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
To replace under counter halogen bulbs, I used 3.5 in +-, in spacing to make 34 in light bar of 10, 3 W warm white LEDs. Heat sink is 3/4 X 1 X 3/4 in. U shaped Al. Needs more heat sinking, will add another strip.

vikasbly44

Joined Jan 19, 2015
DEAR...
there are many LED spacing calculators online which may help you.
<snip, removed spam link>

Last edited by a moderator:

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
DEAR...
there are many LED spacing calculators online which may help you.
<snip, removed spam link>
Thanks very much for your reply, However my question was more based on actually building an LED light and not buying one. Your link just took me to a website selling LED lights. Not at all what I was looking for

Last edited by a moderator:

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
depends on several factors.
1) the thing you mount LED to, can that angle be changed? as example, with a LED that has narrow view angle, i would use convex mounting surface so that i could get the light to shine across a broad downward angle.
2) watts and mcd are different. one is power used, the other is LED brightness. lower watts with higher mcd means more efficient item

but, i think most light makers rely in lenses to get the desired spread of light.

my suggestion would be. mount a whole bunch as close together as possible, and as many as you can within the fixture.

Last edited: