LED Spacing

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
My posts tonight are all about LED's as I am determined tonight to get a sound understanding of working with LED's.

In order to get the best coverage and even intensity, How do you work out the spacing between LED's.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
When you talking about LED then you should show the V/I of LED, if you want to know something about the space of LED, the you should show the diameter of LED as 3mm, 5mm, etc...

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
they are 10 mm LED's with a view angle of 10 degrees I would like to know how to calculate from centre to centre the space to get even light and intensity

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
All the LED datasheets have a "radiation angle" graph, showing the proportion of light emitted vs. angle of incidence.

Each LED is different, and depends upon its size and construction.

The spacing for best coverage will ultimately depend upon the radiation angle data, and the distance of the LEDs from the illuminated surface.

This is simply a 3d geometry problem.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
they are 10 mm LED's with a view angle of 10 degrees I would like to know how to calculate from centre to centre the space to get even light and intensity
A view angle of 10 degrees means nothing. There is no LED on earth that transmits 100% within a 10 degree window, and 0% outside that window. You need to consider how intensity varies with angle.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
My posts tonight are all about LED's as I am determined tonight to get a sound understanding of working with LED's.

In order to get the best coverage and even intensity, How do you work out the spacing between LED's.

Not a very technical solution, but I space them at different distances apart, and see which grouping works best, for what I need them to do..;):D

Experiment!