1. We will be in Read Only mode (no new threads, replies, registration) for several hours as we migrate the forums to upgraded software.

LED Optimum Voltage

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by roscirc, Apr 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roscirc

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Hi All,

I need to calculate the resistors for an LED with the following parameter as per datasheet:

-Optimum Voltage 24V dc
    -DC current 21 mA (max)
    -Reverse Voltage 5V

I will have to use a power supply of 110V , this and LED type as above come from the design of an existing project.
    In the LED datasheet there are no indication about forward voltage but as far as I understand it should be always in the range 1,5/3.8V.

So my question is , what does the Optimum Voltage stand for? would it be possible it is the forward voltage I will have to use to calculate the resistors?

Thanks,

Ros

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Without seeing the document that said, "optimum voltage" I don't have the context to work with. Can you post it?

3. roscirc

Apr 30, 2012
    Here is the original datasheet

• LED.jpg
      LED.jpg
      File size:
      86.5 KB
      Views:

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    That one already has a resistor in it to compensate for 24 volts.
    Just take your 110 volts DC and subtract 24, then calculate the added resistance for .021 amps.

110-24/.021 = 4095 ohms. Next closest value is 4200 ohms, 5%, 4 watts

I sincerely hope you are talking about 110 DC volts! This isn't built for AC.

5. roscirc

Apr 30, 2012
    Thanks #12.

The strange thing though is that in the original design they connected in series a 150kOhm resistor with which the LED works fine.
    The reason why I was trying to calculate it, is that this LED keeps failing over time and I wanted to check whether they sized the resistor correctly but with 150kOhm there is actually a current of 0.57 mA far less than the 21mA.

Another reason for the failing I suspect is a transient reverse voltage of about 200V for few milliseconds which was recorded with a data logger in some case. Would this short time be enough to cause a breakdown?

thanks,

Ros

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Oh yes. You should put a diode in parallel with the LED to bypass the reverse voltage spikes around it.
    or a series diode worth about 400 volts. 1N 4005 or better.

You know how?

7. roscirc

Apr 30, 2012
    That's interesting but not sure how I should connect it..

8. roscirc

Apr 30, 2012
    I guess the Diode in parallel should be connected as "inverse parallel" but what type should I be looking at?

Would you have some internet resources about protecting LED this way?

Thanks,

Ros

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    No. I never even looked for a web page about paralleling a common rectifier with an LED to protect from reversed voltages.

10. roscirc

Apr 30, 2012
    Thank you!!

11. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Please read our ToS, if I interpret this correctly powering LEDs from mains is directly mentioned. Am I mistaken about where the power is coming from?

Power anything like this from mains is a major safety hazard. If I am you may contact the mods via PM or email.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.