LED Light Remote Control

jadsz

Joined Apr 20, 2024
Hey Guys,

disclaimer: I have never ever in my life worked on any hardware device. But I'm currently studying IT and I've the motivation to work on some hardware stuff.

I have a LED light fixed to my ceiling witch is not connecting to my WIFI anymore. Therefore I can't remote control it from the provided app it comes with. Second option is a cheap remote control that it came with that is broken too. I bought a remote control that looked similar to the one that broke in hopes that it would work but it's not communicating with the LED light.

1. LED Lamp: Here
  • WIFI Router: Here
  • Remote Control Look-a-Like. This is not the exact one that I have: Here

What would you guys advice me:

Fix the LED Light WIFI connection
I already tried the way that is advised on the Lights manual. Could it be about something being too old dated in the LED light and therefore it can't connect with my modern WIFI? Can I update something like this?

Fix or buy a new remote control
How do I know in what frequency the light is communicating in? Can that be changed in case I bought one that is wrong?

I'm thankful for any advice!

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
There are quite a few WIFI frequencies, I think 24 channels, but that may be an older protocol. That has changed a few times. And it might even be just radio control on the same frequency.

jadsz

Joined Apr 20, 2024
How many Dollars per Hour is your Time worth ?
If your are implying for me to just buy a new light instead of fixing the old one: I can't fix a new one to the ceiling myself and it would take weeks to find someone who could help me.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The picture shows, I think, an installed light in a ceiling. If it is a permanently wired installation, is there a switch to control it by switching the mains power available??
Just because it stopped responding does not mean it is broken. Wi-Fi is subject to a number of issues that disrupt links.
I have a difficult time imagining not working with hardware as I have been doing it almost all of my years. How else does one get by???

jadsz

Joined Apr 20, 2024
The picture shows, I think, an installed light in a ceiling. If it is a permanently wired installation, is there a switch to control it by switching the mains power available??
Just because it stopped responding does not mean it is broken. Wi-Fi is subject to a number of issues that disrupt links.
I have a difficult time imagining not working with hardware as I have been doing it almost all of my years. How else does one get by???
The Light turns on and of by using the light switch. But because its not connected with the WIFI when turned on it will change color every 10 seconds (blue, green, red etc.) until it receives some color command from a remote control via WIFI or remote controller.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
So the light used to be controlled by an application loaded on a cell phone. Is it possible that the app became damaged ? Or possibly that some hacker has bricked the light controller?? Or possibly there is an interfering wifi signal present.
It should be possible to physically get into the light fixture and manually make a permanent color selection.

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Some of those multi color light fixtures have a reset function, like on-off-on-off-on-off at the wall switch quickly. This varies by make/model, but worth a try. Mine (different vendor) resets to a warm white setting

jadsz

Joined Apr 20, 2024
Some of those multi color light fixtures have a reset function, like on-off-on-off-on-off at the wall switch quickly. This varies by make/model, but worth a try. Mine (different vendor) resets to a warm white setting
Sadly, this does not work for me. I've tried multiple times. Thats why I'm searching for other solutions.

jadsz

Joined Apr 20, 2024
So the light used to be controlled by an application loaded on a cell phone. Is it possible that the app became damaged ? Or possibly that some hacker has bricked the light controller?? Or possibly there is an interfering wifi signal present.
It should be possible to physically get into the light fixture and manually make a permanent color selection.
- I've already un- and reinstalled the app in the past.
- Yes, could be a hacker but no specific answer to that .
- If there would be an interfering wifi signal present wouldn't there be more devices affected by it then just the light fixture? Thats currently not the case.
- So, I should take the light fixture physically apart and search for something to change the light?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
A physical connection change would at least provide a stable color of light, although the convenience of easy changing colors is probably the reason for getting the light in the first place.
The limited paths I have suggested is because I have no others, not because I believe they are the best solution. Correctly diagnosing and fixing unknown hardware is very difficult.

jadsz

Joined Apr 20, 2024
A physical connection change would at least provide a stable color of light, although the convenience of easy changing colors is probably the reason for getting the light in the first place.
The limited paths I have suggested is because I have no others, not because I believe they are the best solution. Correctly diagnosing and fixing unknown hardware is very difficult.
I see. Thank you!