LED Light Conversion - Was It Worth It?

MLLG

Joined Apr 15, 2016
I was curious to see if anyone here has converted their warehouse over to an led setup? I've been researching it more, and I love the fact that they are cheaper per month (in terms of energy usage) but the high initial cost is making me question it.

SO... I was curious to see if anyone here converted and what their thoughts were (company they recommend, models, what they would do differently).

I've been a long time lurker, but thought I would finally contribute to this wonderful community!

P.S. Here are the led retrofit kits I was looking at, if anyone has had an experience with this company let me know how it went.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
they are cheaper per month (in terms of energy usage)
Compared to what?
Metal Halide. 75% to 80% off the electric bill.
I will have to, "Get a Quote" from the manufacturer, find out your rate of payment for kilowatt hours, and guess your labor costs, then calculate a break-even time. This might take a while.

Last edited:

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
I relamp my house each year, from CFL/LED in the summer to incandescent in the winter. To me, the only reason i would go from CFL to LED is for the led lamps' instant on feature. The CFL lamps take a long time to heat up.

Other than that, it is not likely worth it.

Nykolas

Joined Aug 27, 2013
We live in a large condo complex. The parking garage has over 300 florescent tubes. Recently we converted to LEDs. The electricity cost savings covers the replacement lights within a year! Not included in these savings is the reduced cost of replacement florescent tubes and the service costs. E
ps: Somebody need 300 florescent tubes?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Several years ago a steel factory I worked in went from (I think it was) High Pressure Sodium over to LED Tubes (looked like fluorescents). One of the units used to be called "The Bat Cave" because it was so dark. The difference was night and day. I was not privy to the cost of the upgrade but I DO know that it made a huge difference.

Now, that's not to say there were enough light fixtures in the bay before the upgrade, so I really can't qualify my comments as being any kind of authority on the subject. However, I'm glad you posted a link to the light fixtures you're considering. I'm now considering buying ONE unit and modify a lamp in my mother-in-law's house. She's ALWAYS complaining about not having enough light (88 year old woman losing her sight). The BEST LED's i've found in Lowe's has been 1600 Lumen, which does give plenty of light. However, it's not enough light for her. Upgrading to 6600 Lumens SHOULD give her enough light. Hopefully not a sun-tan. (I don't think LED's produce UV, so that's a joke)

Some people LIKE LED, some don't. I'm one who does. The only thing I've been dissatisfied about LED's is that the supposed 60 watt comparable LED (in my opinion) doesn't compare. And "Lumens" has been a whole new learning experience for me.

One thing (from the website) has left me wondering, if anyone knows or can explain: What is meant by "Lumen/Watts"? Is that Lumen's per watt? Or is that Lumen's divided by watts? Or is it something else?

Look here: https://www.rabweb.com I looked at one fixture on Amazon that I saw at an electrical supply house. All the reviews were great. It was an expensive fixture.

I put a quartz Halogen outdoor light in the attic, but it's not used very often. I guess it's technically an "indoor" application. Two lights would even be better.

There's a mix of incandescents/CFL's and LEDS in the house right now. The 3-way CFL's don't work.
CFL's can be more fragile when there is no protection. Some LED lamps have a really fragile envelope.
I've seen LEDs and CFL's that take a long time to come one. The bathroom spot takes about 5 minutes to reach full brightness. CFL's don't like cold.

I love LED dome lamps in the car.