led light bar

shadow61356

Joined Dec 11, 2010
im looking to build a led light bar for my dj business and im not sure how to even start. i have a basic idea of what i want. basically i want to do a bar that contains 6 10 x 20 arrays each a different color, and have each color be sound active based off of audio frequences. is this even possible to build? could someone either tell me i zapped myself to much or if its possible can you give me a push in the right direction? i know power is the critical thing when dealing with led arrays, would an old pc power supply work? i was wanting to use 10mm high output leds. any help with this would be greatly appreciated

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Google "Color Organ". An old PC power supply might work, but there are lots of other options. Power supplies can be cheap.

Break it down further. For me the mechanics and layout are the hart part.

You want 6 panels, each with 200 LEDs, each panel a different color. List the colors. Different colors have different characteristics in the world of LEDs, and have to be designed around.

What frequency do you want each panel to light up on?

LEDs, 555s, Flashers, and Light Chasers

Chapter 12 - Special Effects

Here's a link to an all in one IC, 3 channel driver, breakout board. Using a microcontroller, and external pfet high side switches for the increased led load, would give max flexiblity and control over that chip.