LED light array

electronewb

Joined Apr 24, 2012
I do camera work and I'm thinking about building an LED panel so I can light up the subject while I shoot I was thinking of using single LED lights until I found this 300 LED strip.http://www.ebay.ca/itm/5M-Black-PCB...809743?pt=US_Car_Lighting&hash=item19d69d368f

Supply voltage would be 14VDC How many of those LEDs on the strip can I use before I start frying them?

My idea would be to cut the strip and to use a project box with white or silver perforated board But how many
LED's could withstand 14VDC??

One more thing the supply for the strip is 12VDC @ 3A My supply is 14VDC would I need a voltage regulator?

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
It's not the voltage you need to worry about (assuming you exceed the forward voltage of the led enough to light it), it is the current. If you connect a battery to the LEDs they will light but if current is not regulated then they won't last very long.

I am not sure if those strips have current regulation or not. Form the looks of it, I would say no but then again I am just learning about these new products myself.