LED Highway Traffic Sign

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
A uC that has an internal clock would eliminate external components; and you could set the clock to the lowest frequency to minimize power use (and thus heat dissipation) in the uC itself.

Operating the uC and LEDs with voltage that's about 10% over the rated Vf for the LEDs that you are using will help to keep heat dissipation down. Modern super-bright LEDs are VERY bright; you could probably run them on just a few mA current and still get a very convincing effect.

Don't forget that very thin PCB material is available; you can cut the stuff with scissors.

Last edited:

tabletoptrucker

Joined May 29, 2010
Sgt: The xtal (Kyocera CX49GFNB) and caps for it, all fit within the the Max dims.. I have been rethinking my first idea on the LED's... I doubt I need super brights... I plan on putting a jeweled lens right above the LED and inside the tube that will isolate the LED... I may just order an assortment from Kingbright and breadboard them up and make a choice by visual assessment as to what looks the best... All I have been able to find for PCB's are the .36 - .40 double sided... you got a good source for boards?

MM: The Battery Box size is still yet to be determined... Trying to figure out what the smallest I can get that will have enough power to run this for at least a reasonable amount of time before they need to be replaced or re-charged...
When ever I do a model with any lighting, I always try to make it with rechargables so that I can hide a jack someplace and not have wires dangling...
Hard wiring power from a wall wort is always possible, but the last option since then I prefere to Hard Mount the model to a base so that wires can be hidden and fed thru the wheels into the base...
The other option is to move the Batterys to the Bed of the Pickup which will have something then that will hide the Batts (Tool Box, Bed Box etc...) and the wires from the truck to the trailer will look like normal trailer wires...

This is a Huge Work In Progress and lot of the planning is now falling into place...
And again, I want to Thank all of you for helping me along with this and thanks for you Patience with my Questions...
I'm going to be out of town for work until Monday the 28th and wont be able to work on this at all, soon as I get back I hope to in those next few days to have a better idea on the Power source and where that's going... Going to order some LED's tonight so that they will be here when i get home hopefully...

tabletoptrucker

Joined May 29, 2010
I just wanted to let you all that have been consulting me on this project that it has not fallen by the way side... I just got incredibly busy with work and home affairs and I will be getting back on this as soon as I stop chasing my A** around in circles and traveling back and forth from Minneapolis to Des Moines...