LED help

splitg2

Joined Jan 22, 2011
OK, so I wanted to buy some super bright LED floodlights for around my house. Imagine my surprise when I found out they would cost over $250 a unit. I have a streamlight stinger rechargable flashlight that its beam easily shines 300 yards and cost me $50. So here is my question. Why do the home units cost so much???? Thanks for the help, Newbie "Splitg2"

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
That flashlight you have is now selling from $85 to around $130.

I'm sure if you wait long enough, those LED floodlights will get a lot more expensive.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
That flashlight you have is now selling from $85 to around $130.

I'm sure if you wait long enough, those LED floodlights will get a lot more expensive.

Sorry to hijack the thread but why are they getting so expensive? Just the popularity of LED lighting? Or is there something else going on (other than the US dollar going into the toilet. :) ).

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Well, the dollar IS in the toilet. Haven't you noticed the price of things going up over the last decade?

Pretty soon it'll be cheaper to make things here than buy them from abroad. But, that's the idea.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Lifespan of an LED can exceed an normal flashlight by years sometimes. And when it comes to mounted lighting professionally installed having to change the bulbs yearly vs every 5 years could make the difference in price. Plus you get a lot more light vs power with LED's then Flashlights. This is purely speculative but could be the reason. Its like the mini Flourescent lights vs incadecents. 100w vs 13w = same light.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Sorry to hijack the thread but why are they getting so expensive? Just the popularity of LED lighting? Or is there something else going on (other than the US dollar going into the toilet. :) ).
Durability, focus, and run on a CR123 battery for a long while with a built in buck-boost converter. Throw it down onto concrete, 10 times? Drop it in a lake and need to go diving to pick it up? No Problem, they keep working.

I usually have the tailcap switches break after a few years before anything else other than a bi-monthly battery change goes wrong. Mine are Surfire, but Streamlight has some higher end lights as well.

I speak plural because I keep getting the next highest wattage offered. The big LED outshines non-HID headlights, and it is the size of a Bic Lighter!