LED Driver Problem

beon234

Joined Jun 22, 2014
Hey all,

I have purchased the LDD 1000H LED driver. Here's the datasheet:
http://www.meanwell.com/search/LDD-H/LDD-H-spec.pdf

I am using a 48V, 950mA SMPS to supply the driver, and I'm using a function generator to generate a square wave as an input to the PWM pin. Its currently loaded with two 27ohm (power resistors. When reading the output using an oscilloscope, I find that the output voltage is not periodically driven to 0V with the PWM signal, and it stays constant at 48V. Am I doing something wrong here?

Any help is appreciated :D

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The OUTPUT isn't PWM, it's designed to be constant current. 48V across 54Ω is 890mA, which is within the likely precision of your resistors.

You can turn off the driver using the remote OFF feature.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
It will work properly when you have an LED on there and not a fixed resistor load.
But yes its constant current not PWM out.
Also
Adding a 10K pulldown resistor will allow it to dim all the way to 0

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
The OUTPUT isn't PWM, it's designed to be constant current. 48V across 54Ω is 890mA, which is within the likely precision of your resistors.

You can turn off the driver using the remote OFF feature.
It will work properly when you have an LED on there and not a fixed resistor load.
But yes its constant current not PWM out.
Also
Adding a 10K pulldown resistor will allow it to dim all the way to 0
I am not sure what you guys are saying. Do you mean the PWM input does not result in a PWM output, but actually adjusts the constant current according to the duty cycle of the PWM input?

If so, I had no idea that they worked that way.

Bob

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Ah, yes. There is a chart of Iout vs PWM duty cycle, so I think you are right. That is interesting. On the one hand, the LED will be more efficient using lower current than using PWM, but on the other hand, if linearity of light output was important, it would not be linear.

Bob