LED Control Question

pinballwzd

Joined Jan 17, 2013
Hello,

New member and first post. Hope someone might help or point me in the right direction.

I am working on a project where I would like an object light up, using an RGB LED, when touched to another like object. Each time they touch, the LED
would change it's color.
I would be using an 5mm Piranha Super Flux RGB LED Wide Angle 8000MCD
and have it activated with an Reed switch. Each object would have an Biphasing Magnet in it allowing for the switch to be activated when they touch.

What I am not sure is how to have either each color or combination of colors change each time the 2 objects touch. When the objects are not touching, the LED would obviously say lit as the Reed switch would have a fixed position due to a dedicated biphasing magnet holding it open.

Thank you,

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
You could use a counter chip (e.g. decade counter). Each time the input is pulsed (reed switch), the output of the chip would change. YOu can connnect output 4 to the reset so it starts over every time it passes three (Red=1, green=2, blue=3).

The counter outputs would have to be connected to driver transistors because a decade counter's output is not strong enough to drive a high-powered LED.