led colour temperature

chrissyp

Joined Aug 25, 2008
Hi
I have no experience of using RGB led's .I have lots of experience of using white leds(doped blue leds) for lighting ,but most of the time they need amber filters to make them pleasing to view .Am i right in saying that the colour temperature of an RGB led could be set to an infinite amount of colour temperatures
to alleviate the need for filters,and are they as bright as the white's

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Depends, I'm not sure how color temperature is really measured. It is like a color TV, and can make the eye see every color, but it is still only 3 colors spectrally.

The reason I mention it is color temperature is actually at the spectrum it claims to be. Again though, I'm not sure.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The colour of an incandescent lamp is dependent on its temperature. That is where the concept of colour temperature comes into play.

Hence you are correct. By controlling the intensity of red, green and blue light emitted from RGB leds you can create an infinite number of colours. Hence you do not need filters for proper colour balance. Think of the range, clarity and true rendition of colours on your computer or TV screen.

chrissyp

Joined Aug 25, 2008
Thanks for the inputs, i think my interest in the possibility of the idea working will lead me to getting some RGB's and doing some experiments .Having a lighting system that is infinitely adjustable for the user could be progress as everybody has a differing view of what is a pleasing colour or brightness for lighting ,maybe it could even have a light sensitive feedback circuit to adjust the light level dependant on the reflected light from surfaces around it.