LED Christmas Tree Lights

Bah Humbug

Joined Dec 2, 2010
Need help pinpointing problem with LED Christmas tree lights. I have a strand that lights up when plugged in. This strand will stay on for a few minutes, then go off. They will stay off for a couple of minutes and then come back on. This happens continuously. I have looked at the wiring and bulbs and cannot find a problem. I am wondering if it could be in the resistor for that strand? Sometimes when I move it around, it seems like the lights go on and off, but not all the time. If it could be in the resistor, can that be replaced easily? Any info/guidance greatly appreciated.

Bah Humbug

Joined Dec 2, 2010
I was thinking somehow it was heat related. It's almost as if as soon as they heat up good, they go out. Just before they come back on, they'll start flickering then come on like they're supposed to. They just won't stay on.:confused:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Have you tired to find the one bulb that controls the flashing? It's usually marked in some way. If that is defective, it might cause the problem.

Bah Humbug

Joined Dec 2, 2010
The lights are not the blinking light variety, although I did look at all the bulbs to make sure a blinking bulb wasn't accidentally inserted when manufactured--I just got the tree last Christmas. When it was first put last year, the lights worked fine for a while. After a couple weeks this started, but since it was almost time to de-decorate, I didn't worry about it. I guess I was hoping they would miraculously work this year!:)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I can't see any other explanation besides heat. Since it's not meant to flash, you must be losing continuity as it warms up. Other than wiggling each bulb when it's off, I can't think how else to fix this. I assume the string goes off if a single light is removed? You might try replacing one bulb at a time. Brute force.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Does the plug get warm?

Some of the LED Light strands I've seen actually have a small power supply in them for the DC needed to run the light strand.

Some are the simple resistor/cap limiters with a diode, others are full switch mode power supplies, though those tend to be on the multifunction strings that have a "control box" a few inches from the outlet that allows choosing what pattern the lights will run.

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
Not sure how much you paid for it, but Christmas will be over and done before you fixed it. You might just be better off buying another set and repair it on some rainy summer day.

iONic

Bah Humbug

Joined Dec 2, 2010
iONic-I think you're right. I've come up with one solution--I'm getting ready to turn the tree around so the lights that are going on and off will be facing the wall and make it less noticeable. ;)