LED Chaser

linwiz

Joined Dec 7, 2011
MODERATOR EDIT: This was split from here: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=81140

Thank you for this post! I think that this may be exactly what I am looking for.. Light up all LED's one by one and leave them on, once all are on... reset, right?

I have never dealt with decade counters before, I have a PICkit2 programmer, But have failed to figure out any information on programming a CD4017B, so I am not sure what I am supposed to do with the asc file.

I would like to try and have this circuit completed by December, for my wife's graduation. I would like to verify the parts list with someone, if anyone would be so kind.

100 leds
20 2N3904 transistors
2 CD4017B decade counters
10 1k ohm resistors
1 300 ohm resistor
1 220k ohm resistor
1 200k ohm resistor
2 100n capacitor
3 CD4093B NAND GATE "Schmitt trigger quad NAND package"?

I would truely appreciate any help at all.
Happy wife, happy life right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Art

Joined Sep 10, 2007
Not sure if it really helps you at all, it's just funny that I took this photo not so long ago:

This one is controlled with the variable resistor.

MODERATOR EDIT: This was split from here: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=81140

Thank you for this post! I think that this may be exactly what I am looking for.. Light up all LED's one by one and leave them on, once all are on... reset, right?

I have never dealt with decade counters before, I have a PICkit2 programmer, But have failed to figure out any information on programming a CD4017B, so I am not sure what I am supposed to do with the asc file.

I would like to try and have this circuit completed by December, for my wife's graduation. I would like to verify the parts list with someone, if anyone would be so kind.

100 leds
20 2N3904 transistors
2 CD4017B decade counters
10 1k ohm resistors
1 300 ohm resistor
1 220k ohm resistor
1 200k ohm resistor
2 100n capacitor
3 CD4093B NAND GATE "Schmitt trigger quad NAND package"?

I would truely appreciate any help at all.
Happy wife, happy life right?

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I have a PICkit2 programmer, But have failed to figure out any information on programming a CD4017B, so I am not sure what I am supposed to do with the asc file.
A CD4017 does not require programming; it is controlled by the other components connected to it.

You only need one one CD4093. Otherwise, I think your parts list is accurate.

And, from what I can tell, it lights one LED at a time, i.e., each LED lights and goes out, then the next one lights and goes out. Is that what you want?

Last edited:

linwiz

Joined Dec 7, 2011
A variable resistor for speed I assume? That could prove very useful. If no programming is required, what was the code developed and posted for? For the way i need this to work, the LEDs would need to stay lit, and not go out. I have seen decade counters do this but they didn't provide anywhere near 100 led count.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Wild thought: Stack LM3914N's in bar mode & use a sawtooth input. Unknown as how many can be stacked, National says " two or more".
Big bar graph with 7017 gets complicated, as illustrated in sketch. Need 10 of these. Each LED needs a current limiting R as current for collum varies from 20 mA to 200 mA & now needs a driver able to handle 200 mA. At 0 collector V, wonder if there would be some LED glow? May be using a FET, BS 170 ?, would solve this?? Or add a bunch of AND gates & second 4017 each output in turn would look into 10 logic inputs?
At least it is something to throw stones at.

Attachments

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
If no programming is required, what was the code developed and posted for? For the way i need this to work, the LEDs would need to stay lit, and not go out. I have seen decade counters do this but they didn't provide anywhere near 100 led count.
The .asc file is an LTspice file of the schematic; at least, I think that is what it is. I don't use LTspice, so I am not postive, but I am positive that a 4017 is not programmable with a PICkit2; it is for Microchip microcontrollers.

Bernard's idea should work for LEDs to stay lit.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
A CD4017 has ten outputs, but only one is 'on' at a time. Hence some latching arrangement is necessary if you want LEDs to come on in sequence and stay on until a master reset turns them all off simultaneously. The CD4017 won't cut the mustard.
Another problem is going to be heat dissipation: if one IC is driving several LEDs, even at a few mA per LED, the power soon adds up and the IC could be overloaded. Logic/counter ICs may need additional output buffers (e.g. transistor stages) to drive the LEDs.
The .asc file is an LTspice file of the schematic
I can confirm that.

linwiz

Joined Dec 7, 2011
In not exactly sure if I could just wing it in an attempt to follow Bernard's response. My circuitry skills are at or below hobbyist, which is what was so tempting about the OP schematic. I may be overthinking this, but in not sure. The end goal is a "heartbeat monitor"/EKG/ECG simulation. This seems like the best route but maybe there are other options I have overlooked.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Not really complicated, just a lot of repitition. I would add the NANDs or AND's [ 74ACT08, enough output to drive LED's ]. 25 each OR & AND, & no transistors. Out of time now, but can make another partial sketch if desired.

linwiz

Joined Dec 7, 2011
I am sorry, I am trying to understand but I really only have a little knowledge on transistors and AND/NAND. Enough to follow a schematic. I will try to do some figuring once I get home this evening, but would appreciate anything your willing to take the time to help me with.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Sorry, I screwer up again, post 5 will not work. One collum will stay on, but when 4017 resets each preceding collum is wiped out.
As Alec_t said , we need a latch, something like a low power SCR, 2N 5060 etc. then each junction would need a AND gate driving a SCR driving LED, + some resistors.
How are the LEDs to be arranged? How bright? Any chance for just 80 LEDs, would only need just 2 AND IC's for each collum.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Shift registers might be a better way. 13 CD74AC164E @ about $.56 [ Mouser ] have enough drive so only a resistor & LED is needed for each output with one IC for clock and reset inverter. "1's are loaded at serial input & are shifted untill 101 th stage is reached. When 101 goes high it is inverted to put a low on clear, & everything starts over.
Probably should be reviewed, too many senior moments lately.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
If I were putting this togetrer, ' think it would be " dead bug style", as used on other of my shift reg. proj. I used double sided foam tape to mount ICs upside down. Bend pins 1,2, &14 inward, connecting to VCC buss. If available, 1/10 in, self stick copper foil makes nice buss bars; by name of "circuit-stik", or cut down tape fron stained glass supply. If LEDs are in a pattern, ckts groups of 8,

can be placed near LEDs to keep leads short.
On sketch , think pins 14 were labled 16??
2 nd choice would be " stripboard" which I have verry litle exp. with.
Did not have a SR but connected a 74ACT14 with all 6 outputs driving bright red LEDs continusly @ 17 mA, 5V supply for last three days, no problems, verry low heat.

Attachments

Last edited:

linwiz

Joined Dec 7, 2011
I have 100 blue LEDs I am going to salvage from a cheap Ac light set from eBay. They will essentially be in a strip, just not a straight line. What would you guess it would take to run this on battery for approximately 3 hours?

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
4, Ni mh C cells, 5 Ah, about $ 4 = $ 16
1, Li Fe PO4, 6 V, 5 Ah, $ 45.
Sealed lead acid, 6 V, 5.5 Ah, $ 11.69-- first choice

For non rechargeable maybe 3 or 4 C or D Alk. & may need a regulator??

Last edited:

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Think I would skip C alk, V drop @ 2 A prettysteep. Average current about 1 A. 5 red & one bright blue LED are still going bright, driven by 74ACT14.
Shown is first & last stage with pin #s. Clock period is determined by Rx & Cx @ about P = .7 RC

Attachments