Learning another language? (Rossetta Stone)

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
I am wondering what the best way to learn a language is.
I am also wondering if rosetta stone really works ...
I am willing to pay the steep price if I am guarentteed to be fluent in read , writting , and speaking/communication in that language.

So I am curious if anybody ever used rosetta stone and what there opinon is of it. i.e weather it is the best overall tool to uses to learn a language or if there is better methods, software or ways of learning a human language fast and efficently .

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
SO you think farming is simple ? I disagree. Maybe simple in principle but actually getting up everyday to do it is another think.

I still am learning the information and techniques this will take quite some time.

But I also want to know if anybody has tried rosseta stone because I want to also learn or improve on my language/languages

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Rules of thumb for learning lasnguages
  1. Go to the country
  2. Get a girlfriend
  3. Have her teach you the language

Correct: Works best.

Fluent in 2 to 3 years.

I used Rosetta stone and didn't like it. To much senseless repetition.

Go to the country and work there or do what Papabravo suggested.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Correct: Works best.

Fluent in 2 to 3 years.

I used Rosetta stone and didn't like it. To much senseless repetition.

Go to the country and work there or do what Papabravo suggested.
Well I'd rather get a girlfriend than work if I'm going to be in another country -- GRIN!!

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Rules of thumb for learning lasnguages
  1. Go to the country
  2. Get a girlfriend
  3. Have her teach you the language
That's how I'd do it.
+1 That's the best way.

I tried rosetta stone for Arabic; FAIL. Tried it for spanish; Eh....

Rosetta stone works on what they call the "total immersion" or "instant immersion" (can't remember) principal. It's supposed to be "how a child learns a language." They don't tell you in English "Pelota is Spanish for 'ball.'" They show you a picture of a ball and say "pelota." Then a picture of a boy, and build on your nouns and then some verbs and such. Eventually later on at a higher level they combine the boy and the ball and say a sentence in spanish like "the boy kicks the ball onto the roof" so you can fill in the gaps between boy, kick, and ball.

It's a good idea, but "total immersion" it is not. Total immersion is going to a country, living there, having nothing but the native language spoken in your presence and having no choice but learn it. When I moved to the Philippines and lived in the same house with my wife's family, I was roughly following conversations in tagalog within a month. If asked a simple question, I could usually answer it, but only in English because I felt self conscious about my pronunciation.

Another example is my step daughter. She came to America when she was 5, and spoke like 20 words of English at the time. We enrolled her in Kindergarten and she was in the ESL program, which in my area was almost exclusively for Mexican immigrant kids. We had regular conferences with her ESL teacher, and she was absolutely amazed with her progress; the teacher said she had never seen a kid pick up English that fast. She was fluent within 6 months. It's because we spoke English exclusively at home, whereas most of the Mexican kids that the ESL teacher was used to dealing with, were only exposed to English at school, and their parents spoke Spanish to them. It took those kids a few years to learn English.

There is a whole world of body language, context clues, and first person one-on-one tutoring that, I would say make up 80-90% of learning a language, that Rosetta Stone cannot provide IMO.

Moving to another country probably isn't an option for most people, but you could "immerse" yourself in other ways. I learned (and retained) more Spanish in one year working at KFC than I did in 3 years of high school Spanish class. That's because I worked the drive through & the counter and none of the cooks spoke English. I had to communicate to them what and how much they needed to cook, and also got bored and talked to them when work was slow.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Thinking about the Rosetta stone. The day then somebody discover the up now lost Loosewire Rosetta stone. Things will fall into place

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
do you have preference or need for particular language? some are easier and faster to learn (German for example).

17 years ago I was living in Germany when group of Canadian exchange students (English speaking) arrived. They knew few words on arrival but within 2 months got quite fluent. Now I'm married to one of them and she does all the talking.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Really the best way is to learn the key phrases you think you will need. Spend 6 months doing it.. Theres websites you can join that you can talk with people that speak spanish that want to help other people learn. They have it for all languages. But you gotta do the same thing and have conversations with people learning english. They arrange it thru skype. This way you can learn the exact dialog of the language you wanna learn. i know cuban spanish is different then mexican spanish which is different then spain spanish. Then just goto the country for 6 months and you should be passable.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
not really, English and German languages are quite similar, and by staying in a country you are "immersed" in local language and forced to use it. being exchange students, they had to continue taking classes (in German), it is not like they ware on vacation.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
not really, English and German languages are quite similar, and by staying in a country you are "immersed" in local language and forced to use it. being exchange students, they had to continue taking classes (in German), it is not like they ware on vacation.
That and its proven the younger you are the easier learning multiple languages is. The older you are the harder it is. I think English is like 20%-30% similar to Spanish, French and German. Thats what they told us in HS.spanish was easiest with 33% similarity, then French with liek 28% , and German with what ever the percentage is. Just living in FL with no spanish training at all i can hear spanish conversations and hear the key words and get the gist of what their talking about. But thats only cause so many people here speak spanglish.