Lead Acid Battery question

Thread Starter

psoke0

Joined Mar 31, 2017
174
hey guys i just opened a battery with gloves ofcourse . the negative plates looks good but positive plates are just destroyed . i wanted to turn one of the negative plate into positive plate by electrolysis but only the grid of the plate is turning into PbO2 the spongy lead doesnt turn into lead dioxide why is that ?
 

zen89

Joined Nov 25, 2020
2
hey guys i just opened a battery with gloves ofcourse . the negative plates looks good but positive plates are just destroyed . i wanted to turn one of the negative plate into positive plate by electrolysis but only the grid of the plate is turning into PbO2 the spongy lead doesnt turn into lead dioxide why is that ?
Any update on this OP? I'm having a same issues right now.
 

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
9,474
A bit oof caution is in order because dealing with battery plates can expose you to breathing in llead oxide dust and probably lead and lead sulfate dust as well. rather toxic to most humans and other breathing creatures.
 

zen89

Joined Nov 25, 2020
2

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
9,474
All of the articles and instructions about rebuilding batteries cautioned about breathing the dust. Those were in pre-WW2 publications that my grandfather had saved. So my thinking is that if there was a concern about the dust back in that era then there must have been some of it created while handling battery parts. And given the price and availability of new batteries here in the USA, and given the nastiness of sulphuric acid, it does not seem reasonable to rebuild or build batteries in this part of the world.
 

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
9,474
Really, it is entirely likely that some are not aware of some of the more subtle hazards of working with wet-cell battery materials. So I would not ever assume that any particular individual was adequately aware. And considering the regulations that this site has regarding the mere discussion of mains powered equipment, a caution about possible REAL hazards is entirely appropriate.
 

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
11,088
Sure, some people may not be aware of it, which is doubtful, but they don't need to be reminded every other post from you. Moreover, you are simply ringing alarms and have not described, "are not aware of some of the more subtle hazards."

Come on. What are those subtle hazards?
 

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
9,474
Sure, some people may not be aware of it, which is doubtful, but they don't need to be reminded every other post from you. Moreover, you are simply ringing alarms and have not described, "are not aware of some of the more subtle hazards."

Come on. What are those subtle hazards?
Metallic lead seems to rub off on one's hands when handled. And then it can be absorbed or accidentally ingested.
I mentioned it ONE TIME in post #4, the following mentions were in response to your attacks.
 

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
11,088
@MisterBill2

You need to start your own thread on the dangers of lead rather than hijack this thread. I am anxious to gain from your knowledge and experience, but not here.
Let's see, your posts on the dangers of lead were #'s 4,6,8, and 12 that's 1/3 of the posts in this thread to this point. We have all heard it before.
 

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
2,015
Here are 2 people showing you the entire manual process of rebuilding a lead acid battery. It's not the exact approach you're taking, but it appears successful:


 
Top